DX9 SDK and my GFX Card?

Started by
0 comments, last by Evil Steve 18 years ago
Well, I have a bit of a problem. It's not too big of a deal, but I thought I'd ask anyhow. I just bought a GeForce FX 5200 graphics card. First, I was limited to 16 colors and 640x480/800x600 desktop settings. I downloaded the latest drivers, and everything has been fine. I can play Quake III, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, NHL 2004, and SWAT 3 at FULL detail. So everything's good there. Well, when I create a simple application (for example, the SDK's tutorial for drawing primitives using VB's) it runs just fine. But if I run the SDK's samples, the application starts, and soon after that my computer restarts. Even some of the simple examples. But I can do the same thing myself and I run into no problems whatsoever. Does anyone know what may be causing this? My dad has a GeForce FX 5500 in his machine, and the DX8 (and 9) SDK samples did the same thing to his computer (2.8GHz, WinXP Pro SP2). Mine is: Pentium III 733MHz Windows 2000 Pro SP4 GeForce FX 5200 (Of course, =P) Thanks in advance, Matt U.
:==-_ Why don't the voices just leave me alone?! _-==:
Advertisement
Goto control pannel -> System -> Advanced tab and click, "Settings" button for "Startup and recovery", and uncheck the "Automatically restart" checkbox. That should give you a Blue Screen Of Death the next time it crashes, and you can get some (slightly) more helpful messages there. The first few lines are the only relevant ones.

I can't really think of anything that would cause this, aside from an under-powered PSU. But then that'd probably cause the system not to work at all...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement