Game Intro Video Format

Started by
8 comments, last by owiley 18 years ago
Hi, I wonder if you know what video format I should use for a game intro to a computer game. Is theora, sorensen or MPEG-4 good? A Software Developement Kit would be nice! Thank you in advance, Vkoy
Advertisement
I think Bink video is quite popular for indy-level games... maybe not... I've just seen it used a lot. Another format... umm, how about plain avi?
why not create your own like quake did?
Bring more Pain
Quote:Original post by owiley
why not create your own like quake did?

Why bother, when you have a game to write?
AVI is too big. BINK is too expensive. The intro is already made.
Quote:Original post by supermegavkoy

Quicktime + H.264 looks sweet, and isn't that big. Not sure how easy it would be to use that for your game though.
Quote:Original post by supermegavkoy

AVI isn't "big". AVI is an envelope format. It doesn't define a codec or a bitrate. Certain AVI codecs are not "big" at all.
If I were you I'd use the matroska container with some kind of opensource codec that fits your needs, like x264 which can get high-quality video on very low file sizes.
Then all you'd only have to use directshow to display the video.

Be aware though that h264 decoding consumes a lot of CPU processing power.
i would also go avi (xvid or matroska) and encrypt the compressed data so people can't just rename your file to avi and play it in media player. as for an sdk, Video for Windows is all you'll need.
well it might be more useful and something to add to the game engine and plus its not that hard since all they did was took the rgb data and linked it frame by frame from a movie source.
Bring more Pain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement