New to Programming

Started by
11 comments, last by Silverwings 18 years ago
C is a foundation language.

Many people have told me how hard the step up is from C to C++, so being inexperienced at writing with the C-like syntax of C++ is just a hinderance when it comes to learning the C++ language and it's Object Oriented nature.

It would be like trying to paint like Van Gogh without knowing how to paint at all. You need to take it easy and learn, in steps, what it takes to become good at C++. A good first step is to learn C.

There is no rush to aim for this 'glory status' of being a C++ and DirectX game programmer. You would gain respect from me and certainly other language-experience programmers if you take the time to learn the foundations and more low level nature of C before you rush into much more high-level language. It is important to understand what goes on underneath the C++ code. For example, what goes into the STL library, rather than just blast onwards using the high-level mechanics of the language while completely oblivious to it's workings.

That's why i think you should learn C first. I didn't and i paid for it.

I'm saying 'you' in general terms.

Dave
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
Quote:Original post by Scet
Quote:Original post by Dave
If you are going to be a successful programmer you are going to have to be able to pick up absolutley any language at any time.

Yes, but why C? Half the threads here are the result of C's lack of type safety and it's relience on low-level pointer ho-ha. He's already use VB and Java whihc are OO, why would you suggest a out-dated procedural language?

Unfortunately C is still widely used in the industry, which is probably what he was getting at.

C is still widely used in Embedded systems and you may be too naive (not @ Kylotan) to realise that in fact it can be better to use than C++ for alot of applications.

A good example of this is that the Linux kernels are written entirely in C.

Zex,
I entered the industry as an artist with a year or so of programming under my belt. Today, I work extensively with Maya and Photoshop, and it's a beautiful thing to know how to script with MEL. It's not "programming" for some purists, but it's very handy to know. And, well, I'm trying to learn more "pure" programming.

From my side, then, I'd encourage at least a mild understanding of how the 3D programs work, and if you're still interested in the art side, draw. A lot.

It really enhances your ability to work in a team if you understand both sides of the system, even if you specialize in one. For example, I write some of my own scripts that I can do faster than asking an engineer to do it and get lost in the translation. Programmers benefit from understanding the basics of what the artists are looking for.

As far as learning all at once, you're really only limited by what you can handle. I learned Illustrator, Maya and Java within the same two years, mostly at the same time. I had worked with Photoshop for a few years before that, but I kept learning with it as well at the same time. If you have the interest, means and discipline, there's no reason you can't learn them at the same time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement