What is worse then big rigs?

Started by
58 comments, last by Ravuya 17 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir
I just got the latest patch for Civ4 (incredibly buggy game to start with), and lo and behold, it introduces a memory leak which causes the game to crash out after about 2 hours.

*sigh*

I swear it's a feature.[grin]
We'll bring your children up in the classic English manner, by making them learn latin, and beating them half to death in a single sex environment.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by matt2k6
are you serious??? where did you get this information regarding fallout 3???

Why did you necro a month-old thread just to ask about Easily searchable information?
Quote:Original post by EDI

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

This thread is filled with utterances of experts.

New Rule:

Before you can judge the ability of creating bug free games of a given magnitude.

You need to first have made a game of said magnitude.

You know, so like, you're well versed on the topic.

Your Tetris clone of 1,000 lines is NOT a viable comparison.

I don't need to be a multi-million dollar movie producer in order to judge whether or not a movie sucks.

Why should you apply the same standard here?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

This thread is filled with utterances of experts.

New Rule:

Before you can judge the ability of creating bug free games of a given magnitude.

You need to first have made a game of said magnitude.

You know, so like, you're well versed on the topic.

Your Tetris clone of 1,000 lines is NOT a viable comparison.

I don't need to be a multi-million dollar movie producer in order to judge whether or not a movie sucks.

Why should you apply the same standard here?

That is an incompatible analogy.

And furthermore, 'sucks' is subjective. This relates to games of a given size/budget and the amount of 'bugs' in them, which is not subjective.

A proper one is:

I DO need to be a multi-million dollar movie producer, and have produced such a movie, before I can judge if I can make a better, less buggy, one.

Experience changes your outlook in many ways.

And the point I was trying to make, which you apparently missed, is that the 'armchair' game developer is not qualified to judge the potential outcome of such a project.

see? =)

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

There are also other games to compare to.
(How the hell did this thread got revived?)
If the chinese car gets the lowest score ever on car safety, I can say that they could have made a better car. Even if I am not a car manufactuer myself. Because I have other cars to compare it to.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Sure. But Oblivion is one of the most difficult games out there to test, I would say. It is so open and so big that it becomes nearly impossible to test. Games with limited options or fixed paths are easy. But we don't want limited options or fixed paths, do we?

Now, I'll admit that Oblivion was screwy, yes. I could only see my weapons when indoors, or while outside facing east, for example. The fight music didn't play, and my thievery nearly messed up a quest or two. Only one quest (Anvil manor) has been bugged out for me. It was a fun game. If one quest doesn't work, email Bethesda and move on.

And it's clearly not worse than Big Rigs.

Shame on you, matt2k6 for necroing, by the way.

Quote:Original post by mikeman
You know, you have in front of you such a big and complex game like Oblivion and instead of wondering in awe how those developers pulled off such a monster that works most of the time, you complain about occasional glitches, while pretending that you are an "expert" and analyzing the game system(!). So an NPC happens to not be able to reach its goal because the level designer made a little mistake in a slope or some stairs. Big deal. There are 100s of NPS's, 1000s of stairs and 1000000s of slopes. Are the going to test each and every one? Something is bound to be missed. Stop bitching and download a patch or something.
Quote:Original post by jRaskell
I won't argue that Oblivion (and it's predecessors) is a buggy game. It is also far more complex than most other games out there. RPGs as a genre tend to be some of the most complex games in the market. These days they are all very large scale and very intricate. Ones like Oblivion come with 100+ hours of gameplay without including any sort of replayability. Hundreds of quests, thousands of items, in Oblivions case over 1000 NPCs as well. Tons of scripting. The logistics involved with this game are enormous. Few gamers even come close to comprehending the scope of creating such a game, and it's obvious that The C modest god doesn't either.
I DO need to be a multi-million dollar movie producer, and have produced such a movie, before I can judge if I can make a better, less buggy, one.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
And here I thought this thread was gonna be a gripe about 18 wheelers...
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
<yoda>When develop massive open-ended cutting-edge RPG YOU have, think finding all the bugs is easy YOU will not!</yoda>
Orin Tresnjak | Graphics ProgrammerBethesda Game StudiosStandard Disclaimer: My posts represent my opinions and not those of Bethesda/Zenimax, etc.
Quote:Original post by lancekt
<yoda>When develop massive open-ended cutting-edge RPG YOU have, think finding all the bugs is easy YOU will not!</yoda>

um... the undeniable winner.
it just doesn't get any better than that.

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

Quote:Original post by The C modest god
Computer science has developed enginerring methods to build programs with very few bugs. I believe, you know, UML and stuff.

The bug you have appears to be related to content and not the main program of the game; unless they were to UML plan all of their quest scripts (which they might very well) I don't think it would help much. Chances are the quest scripts were done by a game designer and not a computer scientist anyway.

I don't like the bugs either, but it's life. Deal with it. It's still a fantastic game. Also, if you go into a job with "LOL UML = BUG FREE" you're going to be really surprised.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement