Computer Art By Darchangel ACP Member

Started by
4 comments, last by Avatar God 18 years ago
Hi I am posting this on behalf of an Alpha Claw Productions Member Darchangel. http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=388515 Working from a pencil sketch this was made in Paint Shop Pro 9. Approx 4 days to make, actual time 8-10 hours. http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/cpsinbad/silversurfer.png
Advertisement
Do you want feedback, comments, critique, admiration, hits, anything? Not sure what the point of this thread is?
-------------www.robg3d.com
All of the above lol
-The composition is busy. Repeat the diagonals on the board in the trail of it. The arms and board front line up, but so should the almost-correct piece of the trail behind him. The rest of the trail should reflect other areas (either highlight lines, or edges) of the board. This will really help unite the entire composition.
-However, it will also lead the eye around the piece, away from the Silver Surfer. Which means your strong diagonals need to lead somewhere, there needs to be some more interest in the upper right. Or, even better, make the SS much more prominent in the painting, keeping the comments about the trail lines in mind. Right now, 3/4 of the page is pretty much wasted.
-He should reflect some of the purplish atmosphere. He pops out too much and looks cut-and-pasted because he's not 'located.'
-Get rid of the red underneath the SS. Yellow and Purple are complimentary, so you've made decent use of it in some areas (center, 2/3s up). But the red is distracting and doesn't work. The SS is mono-chrome, so don't get to busy with colors in the BG, or you drown him out.
-Not sure, but the sparkles should be oriented the same way? Also, the one in the board shadow doesn't really make sense.
-Those 'flares' are caused by light/reflection, so you'd want them on the most prominent reflective surfaces, try moving them around and changing their opacity/size.

Overall though, I like the character, which is the hardest part.
-------------www.robg3d.com
The composition needs a little bit of work. Keep in mind that we continue suggested motion in our imagination. In that picture, that results in the Silver Surfer--or at least his board--slamming into the lower-left corner of the page. The fact that he's headed out of the page mitigates the effect slightly, but it still seems like a problem. This is why when you see someone in profile, their head will generally be further back from the centerline of the picture. Likewise, in this case, SS needs more room to fly.
Re: Sneftel's comment - I agree. Another way to handle it would be to have our lovely space surfer head more directly at the camera. Err, viewer. If a part of his board was actually out of the image, and he seemed to be pulling up out of his path, and possibly even looking towards the viewer, and certainly filling more of the image, the design could work.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement