give up the .x format

Started by
3 comments, last by circlesoft 18 years ago
I want to give up .x format.use a myself or other file format, any links about it are welcome.
Advertisement
There's nothing to it really. You could have a look on Wotsit.org for a list of 3D model formats to get a rough idea, but it's generally pretty simple.
You just need a format that lets you store vertices and commands, or vertices and indices, and possibly textures and other information.
The MD2 format is nice, I wrote a loader for that in a couple of hours. It's so simple because all the data is just one huge triangle list. You need to do a little bit of editing though, since it's designed for OpenGL. Namely, you need to swap the Z axis and the winding order of the triangles.
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
There's nothing to it really. You could have a look on Wotsit.org for a list of 3D model formats to get a rough idea, but it's generally pretty simple.
You just need a format that lets you store vertices and commands, or vertices and indices, and possibly textures and other information.
The MD2 format is nice, I wrote a loader for that in a couple of hours. It's so simple because all the data is just one huge triangle list. You need to do a little bit of editing though, since it's designed for OpenGL. Namely, you need to swap the Z axis and the winding order of the triangles.

do you mean load mesh, texture ,material and relation between them? and the animation data :matrix list and relation between matrix and vertex?
If you're looking for a good 3d mesh format package that supports 3d skinning and bones with animation, Cal3D ( http://cal3d.sourceforge.net/ ), it's opensource and powerful and platform/graphic API independent.
------------------------
Quote:Original post by SAL1
If you're looking for a good 3d mesh format package that supports 3d skinning and bones with animation, Cal3D ( http://cal3d.sourceforge.net/ ), it's opensource and powerful and platform/graphic API independent.

If you want another format with skinning, apparently MD5 isn't bad either. If you want a static mesh, a lot of people have written .3ds loaders as well (articles are here on gamedev, too).
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement