idea book

Started by
12 comments, last by dwarfsoft 17 years, 12 months ago
I just have a large spiral bound notebook that I keep with me. It is full of psuedo code and sketches. I also have private forums where my friends and I discuss the stuff in more detail. Just having somewhere to jot down ideas as they come is a great thing to do.
Advertisement
I have an ideas folder on my desktop. Inside that is a big txt document which I flick over to to write ideas in as the come to me. If I decide to develop that idea I make a new folder with a new txt document in it where I write down any ideas specific to that game.
Specific ideas get developed in their own folders branching off the game folder.

In this way I take an idea from bunch of game ideas and start to develop it, then come up with a bunch of ideas for quests and develop on of them, then characters the player can encounter within that quest, conversations, puzzles, etc.

If I come up with an idea when I'm away from my computer I write it on a scrap of paper and transcribe it later.
I have stacks of semi sorted loose leaf sheets, (about 2000 or so pages now, I've only used a stack of 12 bundles of 200 for ideas and stuff, and yesterday noticed I had one left on the shelf as I was opening a new one)

The good thing about them is they are easy to go through and pull out the ideas you want and put them somewhere. Bad thing is they are easy to lose and can be hard to sort if you are like me and spread things around over every surface, and then have family members 'help' you and put everything away.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
I'd have to agree with Kazgoroth with installing a Wiki. Wiki I find is so easy to just punch a link in when you have an off-topic idea, so you can then open it up when you start thinking about it.

I also have a Notebook which I take with me everywhere (though it hasn't been getting as much use since my work donated a Laptop to me). This is great for jotting down ideas when you do not have your computer/wiki nearby. Wiki's aren't too hard to manage or set up. There is plenty of documentation on it now anyway.

Before I went with the Wiki, I was using Dreamweaver to create static web pages that were doing much the same thing as the wiki (although with less ease). I find writing straight to the web allowed me to try and formulate ideas in such a way that I would understand it later (because I was writing it for others to understand).

So, basically, Wiki++;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement