MPSDK, VC2005, and DirectX

Started by
5 comments, last by superpig 18 years ago
I have VC 2005 and I belive that it is setup with the MS Platform SDK correctly. I also have Direct X 9.0 setup correctly. However, under Win32 options all I have is the Win32 consol. Is this correct? Should I have more project/compile as options? I also have no Direct X type things. Which I would assume is normal, except for the fact that my crappy Visual C++ 6.0 does. I don't know what to do. Will a Win32 consol compile as a win32 application? Do I need to reinstall the SDK? Should I get MS VC++2003? Thank you for helping me out here.... (Oh, I do have Windows form Application, if that is the equivilent)
___________________________________________________Optimists see the glass as Half FullPessimists See the glass as Half EmptyEngineers See the glass as Twice as big as it needs to be
Advertisement
I installed the PSDK correctly, and only have the console icon as well. However, if you start a project with this icon, when you get to page 2 ("Application Type"), there should be a radio box for you to select "Win32 Application" (assumming you followed all instructions correctly on the MSDN installation page, there are a few files you need to edit besides just running the PSDK installer). Check this to create a standard Win32 Application, with menus, windows, etc. (though you can also create a Win32 App by including windows.h and linking to all necessary libs).
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Thanks, I see it now. But wha about Direct X? Is there some icon I should see? Or should I just using Include to make a direct X project? (Well, I would using include anyway...)
___________________________________________________Optimists see the glass as Half FullPessimists See the glass as Half EmptyEngineers See the glass as Twice as big as it needs to be
I've never seen a directX type, I usually just make a win32 project and include the proper libs and headers for DX.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
If I just link Visual C++ 2005 to the librarys under projects and solutions in the options section will I have to include them in the h file and cpp file? If I do, how? Do I jsut use #include<d3d9x.lib> or whatever?
No, only header files are brought in with #include.

You can use #pragma for libs, but it would be better to just enter your libs in the Linker -> Input portion of the Project Properties menu.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by Plasmarobo
But wha about Direct X? Is there some icon I should see?
There used to be, but not any more.

If you want a "skeleton" project to start from, fire up the DirectX SDK Sample Browser and find the 'EmptyProject' sample. Hit "Install Project" and save it to where you want your new skeleton project to be; then open it up in Visual Studio. I think it sets up a window and Direct3D device for you; everything else is up to you.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement