4E5

Started by
148 comments, last by Avatar God 17 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by twoaterisn
How much experience do you need to have a decent shot of competing?

I don't mean winning it, not even getting top 10, but finishing something decent before the deadline which has all four elements and let's say two/three levels. (if there are levels in the game of course :) )

You don't actually need that much experience, the only thing I had done before my 4E4 project was Pong, so I was pretty inexperienced when I started it. I wrote my game completely from scratch, and it took most of the contest to write. By the time I almost finished it, I had learned a lot, and had a lot more experience. I didn't finish my entry, but that was a side issue that had nothing to do with the project or my experience at all. [grin]

I'd say go for it, even if you have next to no experience writing games.
Advertisement
OK, thanks :)

guess I'll go 'n fill in the roll call forum :)
So um. Where's the screenshot thread? Or are we going to have project threads instead this time?
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
I don't believe anyone has any screenshots yet, its only been a few days since the elements were announced.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Quote:Original post by ussnewjersey4
I don't believe anyone has any screenshots yet, its only been a few days since the elements were announced.

Oh.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Quote:Oh.

That is one very,.. ehhh.. emotional tree. :)

I'm definately entering. This is going to be so exciting!!!
Quote:Original post by Michalson
In regards to rule 12, what specifically should not be included? I don't have plans to use anything explicity offensive, but could we have some details so we can avoid crossing the line.

From the description we can obviously not include adult (sexually explicit) content.

What about other items, especially those whose severity varies from country to country:

- Violence: What level of violence is considered not AO? Is blood ok? Dismemberment? Violence against innocent people? Violence depending on how consequences are shown in game? Is the limit on violence different depending on if the violence is gratuitous or has actual use (for example player violently losing a leg in a trap ok, while little children being dismembered for no reason not ok)

- Swearing: Is no swearing allowed, censored (implied swearing) allowed, non-gratuitous swearing allowed (swearing that is valid in context), or is there no limit to swearing (i.e. video game adaptation of The Sopranos). Are some words considered more or less offensive then others.

- Culturally Offensive: For example are swastikas and other nazi references banned. In some European countries these are specifically illegal, and in most other places (outside the US) are considered in bad taste. As well, what about content that offends or negatively portrays specific cultures/religions/etc.
I was wondering if we could get an answer on these questions. "No" or "Keep it in good taste" are perfectly fine answers, too. I'd just like to know if I can have a character say 'damn' at some point in the game, or if I should avoid it altogether.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote:Original post by Avatar God
Quote:Original post by Michalson
In regards to rule 12, what specifically should not be included? I don't have plans to use anything explicity offensive, but could we have some details so we can avoid crossing the line.

From the description we can obviously not include adult (sexually explicit) content.

What about other items, especially those whose severity varies from country to country:

- Violence: What level of violence is considered not AO? Is blood ok? Dismemberment? Violence against innocent people? Violence depending on how consequences are shown in game? Is the limit on violence different depending on if the violence is gratuitous or has actual use (for example player violently losing a leg in a trap ok, while little children being dismembered for no reason not ok)

- Swearing: Is no swearing allowed, censored (implied swearing) allowed, non-gratuitous swearing allowed (swearing that is valid in context), or is there no limit to swearing (i.e. video game adaptation of The Sopranos). Are some words considered more or less offensive then others.

- Culturally Offensive: For example are swastikas and other nazi references banned. In some European countries these are specifically illegal, and in most other places (outside the US) are considered in bad taste. As well, what about content that offends or negatively portrays specific cultures/religions/etc.
I was wondering if we could get an answer on these questions. "No" or "Keep it in good taste" are perfectly fine answers, too. I'd just like to know if I can have a character say 'damn' at some point in the game, or if I should avoid it altogether.

"Damn" should be fine.

The intention is to not bring GDNet's good name into disrepute (via hosting and promoting offensive material). Stuff that explores offensive things in a thoughtful and respectful way is just about acceptable (e.g. nazis), while stuff that offends gratuitously is not. So, "keep it in good taste" is pretty much the guideline; "don't do anything we wouldn't do" is another.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
"Damn" should be fine.

The intention is to not bring GDNet's good name into disrepute (via hosting and promoting offensive material). Stuff that explores offensive things in a thoughtful and respectful way is just about acceptable (e.g. nazis), while stuff that offends gratuitously is not. So, "keep it in good taste" is pretty much the guideline; "don't do anything we wouldn't do" is another.
Awesome, thank you! We'll keep it minimal, anyway, and make sure it's not just random and offensive cursing and violence.

And I'll go order my custom 'wwspd' bracelet right now. [lol]
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement