AA, AF, Gamma

Started by
5 comments, last by Boder 17 years, 12 months ago
All new games come with options to adjust the video display. Included in these options are Antialiasing, Anisotropic Filtering, Gamma, Resolution, Fullscreen, Color Depth, VSync, and Monitor Refresh Frequency. Someone kindly responded to my earlier question on using gamma, which was to use a platform-specific call for Win32. 1) There is some info floating on the net about a "GL_ARB_imaging" extension and gamma, however it is not mentioned in the SGI Extension Registry. Why not? 2) How does the program enable these latest effects (Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering) rather than making the user turn them on in the control panel? Is it through extensions or through platform-specific calls? Info for Windows in particular would be appreciated.
Advertisement
ARB_Imaging isn't in the extension registry because it's not an extension anymore.
It was moved into the core in 1.3, I think.
antialiasing
VSync

Anisotropic filtering is supported through an OpenGL extension also(IIRC).
Colordepth is done with SetPixelFormat
and resolution/fullscreen are done with ChangeDisplaySettings

this applies to Windows platform only of course.
As your leader, I encourage you from time to time, and always in a respectful manner, to question my logic. If you're unconvinced that a particular plan of action I've decided is the wisest, tell me so, but allow me to convince you and I promise you right here and now, no subject will ever be taboo. Except, of course, the subject that was just under discussion. The price you pay for bringing up either my Chinese or American heritage as a negative is - I collect your f***ing head.
Found the anisotropic filtering extension. GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic

I wish they wouldn't remove extensions from the registry.

What's the easiest way to see what extensions your card supports (NVIDIA) ?

What's the difference between doing gamma correction with ARB_imaging or using SetDeviceGammaRamp() on windows?
I don't think ARB_imaging went into core. Some parts of it went into core like blending. I don't recall ever seeing ARB_imaging in the extension registry. Isn't this a set of other extensions (convolution, histogram, color matrix)?
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Quote:Original post by V-man
I don't think ARB_imaging went into core. Some parts of it went into core like blending. I don't recall ever seeing ARB_imaging in the extension registry. Isn't this a set of other extensions (convolution, histogram, color matrix)?

Correct, for what the extensions are you can look here.

Boder, they don't take extensions out of the registry, just as extensions wihich have gone into core are still present on your GL_EXTENSIONS string. For example, the very first ARB extension, ARB_multitexture is present in the registry page even though it's gone into core long ago.
Thanks deavik, very interesting.

But although they list ARB_multitexture in the list they have removed all the documentation for it. That was the one in particular I was thinking about, because it troubled me in the past when I was looking it up [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement