Preventing kamikaze griefing

Started by
47 comments, last by swiftcoder 18 years ago
Yeah, I think you might have to give a bit more detail about the gameplay if you want a better answer.

Sure, light ships could have a small effect should they be able to ram a larger ship, but as I understand it the problem would be multiple sloops crashing into a dreadnaught (which still wouldn't do assloads of damage, realistically. they could, however, cripple a ship to leave it prey for a larger ally).

I think, in my own humble, disgracefully rated opinion, that this problem needs to be handled by resource management in the game. Create enough of a "time-to-earn-resources" disincentive for ramming and you will keep it as a last resort. Perhaps noobs start out piloting rowboats? I don't know. But I think if you want to keep ramming as a last resort/extremely risky tactical manuver, you need to tie it to a player's time investment. Make it completely ineffective for the smallest ships, until a player gets 20 hours or so into the game. That's the simplest solution, I believe.

Edit: and of course, a kamakaze ship would spend plenty of time in a larger and better equipped ship's cannon range.
Advertisement
Yeah, I'm still working out the details of resource acquisition and expenditure. It's a combat-heavy game, so I don't want every battle to leave all sides at least half-crippled. So there needs to be the opportunity for a moderately quick bounce-back. At the same time, though, each skirmish will take a significant amount of time and I don't want the victorious player to feel that his time has been wasted. (This is, of course, a situation which is common to every PvP MMO out there.) In terms of making kamikaze a bad tactic, I think that weakening the prow such that ramming causes lots of damage to the ramming player should be sufficient. Oblique rams, meanwhile, would be difficult to do at sufficient speed to cause much damage.

I don't want to forcibly segregate players by level, but I do want to have a "newbie island" and to provide strong disincentives to keep higher-level players out of it. I've already thought of a few ways to do this within the game's stylistic conceit. I do also like the honor system, though. And more generally, I like the idea of a player being "rated" on his combat skills by more than just winning or losing.
I am assuming you have played the battleship MMO navyfield?

It covers a lot of what you are looking for.
Quote:Original post by Joviex
I am assuming you have played the battleship MMO navyfield?

It covers a lot of what you are looking for.

I have not. Thanks for the pointer; it'll be very useful to research how they're doing things.
What about implimenting automatic boarding actions, where your crew is experienced/agressive enough to hop on the enemy ship with cudgels and cutlasses and exterminate the hostile sailors? A more experienced crew wil not only be more coordinated about this, but also be more effective at melee combat and boarding action efficiency and tactics.

Just a random two cents.
Quote:Original post by Sta7ic
What about implimenting automatic boarding actions, where your crew is experienced/agressive enough to hop on the enemy ship with cudgels and cutlasses and exterminate the hostile sailors? A more experienced crew wil not only be more coordinated about this, but also be more effective at melee combat and boarding action efficiency and tactics.

I've wondered for quite some time now whether I should implement boarding. Certainly if the aim is to pillage or capture rather than scuttle the enemy ship then it's necessary, but the amount of detail and control is a trickier topic. At this point, I think the benefit of simulating the actual boarding wouldn't provide a good return on the time it would take to implement it. Instead, victory will be the result of the other side conceding. My current thinking is that morale is a factor; ship damage, crew deaths, poor captaining and a perception of hopelessness can cause your crew to surrender right out from under you. Actually, it would be interesting to tie 'honor' into 'morale'.
Quote:Original post by King of Men
Hang on, if your sailing ships are even half realistic, then they just don't damage each other very much by ramming. They just aren't fast enough in relation to their ability to absorb damage. And broadsides at close range should be devastating. I think you are over-designing yourself into an unrealistic hole, here. Just go with the flow. "No captain can do very wrong, who lays his ship alongside that of an enemy."

If the wind is strong enough than they could build up a preety big momentum, enough to smash trough a ship , escpecially considering the pressure from the impact is centered at the tip of the ship, which will be reinforced.
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
Um, no. That's just not true. We are talking about Nelson-style ships here, right? They have a max battle speed of about five knots. And they are made of wood; the thing about wood is that it's very flexible indeed. Ram into another sailing ship at five knots and the beams will bend, but not break; you will shove the other ship back quite a bit in whatever direction you're going; you might with massive amounts of luck break their mast (or your own); and that'll really be it. Any intuition based on modern metal-hulled ships is going to be wrong in this situation.

Those old ships could absorb really amazing amounts of damage. Remember Trafalgar? Big, decisive battle, absolutely crippling to the Spanish-French fleet, right? Exactly one ship sank from battle damage, because fire reached the magazine. The rest were captured because, after several hours of close-range cannon pounding, there were not enough men left to man the guns, so they surrendered. But while they were out of it as fighting platforms, they were quite functional as actual ships; many of them served on the other side for the rest of the war.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Quote:Original post by King of Men
Those old ships could absorb really amazing amounts of damage. Remember Trafalgar? Big, decisive battle, absolutely crippling to the Spanish-French fleet, right? Exactly one ship sank from battle damage, because fire reached the magazine. The rest were captured because, after several hours of close-range cannon pounding, there were not enough men left to man the guns, so they surrendered. But while they were out of it as fighting platforms, they were quite functional as actual ships; many of them served on the other side for the rest of the war.

Good point, if this is the right era:
Ramming could have a slight recoil, and a 'stun' effect (i.e. crew are knocked off their feet, take a while to recover), and the damage would be minimal, except for random damage (to spars, guns in location hit, etc.).

Only thing to note is that ramming (or for that matter shooting) the stern will cause much more damage (the stern was rarely as strong as the rest of the hull).

I will be interested to see your sailing dynamic, Sneftel, as I have rarely found a game that I feel 'Got it right'.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement