Puppy Linux

Started by
4 comments, last by Dave Hunt 17 years, 11 months ago
Is puppy linux good? Does it have a c++ compiler built in? How would i use it? Thank you!!!
Advertisement
I've never used puppy linux, but most linux distros include gcc. Just type "gcc" at the command line to see if you have it. If it is there, you can learn to use it with "man gcc".
Is that the only reply? No one else has used linux puppy? Oh well. I tried looking for gcc in the (bash?) im not good with linux AT ALL. I have some books though. I guess i should add that to my list of books to read.... Thank you anyway.
gcc is the standard GNU compiler for C/C++ code. As smitty said, it's included in pretty much all *nix distros-- at least, that I've heard of anyway.

What I haven't heard of, however, is Puppy Linux. My suggestion to you, a newbie to linux (hey, we all started there!) is to install Ubuntu. It's incredibly user-friendly and easy to use, but you'll pick up the basics of Linux along the way, too. It isn't lightweight, it's a real OS-- I give it my full recommendation. I personally use variants of the BSD family, but those're a little bit hard to understand for the neophyte *nix-ers.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck! Hope you enjoy the OS.
As far as I've read (on e.g. distrowatch), Puppy Linux is also quite newbie friendly (though not as much as Ubuntu). But perhaps you're better off asking this is a place where more people are familliar with Puppy Linux.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Puppy Linux does not include a compiler. That's one way it stays so small. However, you can download a package (usr_devx.sfs) to add the compiler and dev tools to your installation.

The best place to get Puppy Linux info is the Puppy Linux web site.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement