Creating Animated .X Models With 3DS Max

Started by
5 comments, last by red_produkt 17 years, 11 months ago
Hey I'm currently creating a 3D Game Engine and would like to add 3D Animation support. As a Model Format I would prefer using the DirectX .x format since this supports animation and is easy to implement into DirectX. I use 3ds Max as a modeler program in combination with the Panda plugin: http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/directxmax_downloads.aspx I do however have some problems when exporting animations to the .x Files since it works all fine in 3DS Max But after it is exported the DirectX Viewer does show the object but without any animation. The Animations are modeled using the Physique modifier. When using the 3DS Max rotation, movement and scaling functions the .x file works just fine. But these functions are limited and I'd rather work with the physique modifier. Now I was wondering if it is possible to export a 3DS Max file animated with physique. Thanks in advance,
Advertisement
you will have to be a pogrammer to get animations into .x, iv tried it once using 'skin' and i wasnt able to export animations, i was able to move a mesh as a whole but not using bones and verticies cant be moved individualy... but if you do find a way please, ocntact me. i believe there is a way to animate like normal but i think you have to do alot of programming... why not just use another format?

remember, if you do find solution please update this thread with your answer
I am in fact a programmer, as I stated "I'm currently creating a 3D Game Engine". As far as I know the easiest way animating .x files is doeing it using animation keys in the .x file itself.

Doing it using programming would make it just harder.

If I find the answer myself I will offcourse post it,

Again any help is apreciated...
Physique and Skin are the same thing, basically (Skin is a newer version, Physique is outdated).

Make sure you are exporting the animations in the export dialogue box, and go to the Animations tab and make sure everything looks alright, and try different settings. That seems to be the only thing I can think of if it works fine in 3ds but not the DX viewer.
-------------www.robg3d.com
Ok thanks a lot,

I will try it the next thing tomorrow.

Quinnie
Hey

I used your advice and tried diferent settings with the panda exporter, but I wasn't very succesfull. Neither of the settings seemed to work, and when looking at the .x files I could not find any animation data.

Why this is I'm not sure... if anyone already managed to get this to work I'm willing to send our .max file and see if its the problem of the file or the exporter settings.

Thanks in advance,

Quinnie
what are you trying to export? first thing to do when you're having export problems is to try and export a cube skinned to a single bone, maybe with a simple 90 degree turn animated. Then if it works you know its probably a setup problem with your model, and if it fails then somethings wrong with the exporting side of things

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement