Which budget orchestra plugin?

Started by
48 comments, last by Kryzon 17 years, 9 months ago
If anyone really has any questions about East West stuff, just ask me, I work for them :p

Beeson
Sean Beeson | Composer for Media
www.seanbeeson.com
Advertisement
You all seem pretty knowledgable about this stuff, so I've got a question for you.

Do you think it would be better to get the EWQLSO Silver/Silver Pro bundle or just the Gold? I know Silver includes a choir, does Gold?

In terms of overall sound quality, does Gold sound much better? I believe that Gold uses chromatic sampling whereas Silver doesn't.

Thanks guys,
David Orr www.davidorr.net
If you buy gold, you can get the choirs, piano and organ for a small price by contacting EW.

Gold uses chromatic sampling. Silver does not. The biggest thing you will be missing other than the chromatic samples if you buy silver and silver pro, is the ambience of gold. The ambience is there to give the samples a full sound.

The sound of silver, can be a big sound too, you will just have to sequence, mix, and master the tracks well. Overall, the sound of gold is a step up. It is noticeable but with silver and silver pro, you will have a much wider array of sounds.

What kind of machine are you running this on? If it is a lower to mid end machine, I would choose silver + silver pro.

Beeson
www.seanbeeson.com
How much is the small fee for the extra couple of sounds? I think the gold is definately what I want if it is a step up in quality, but I really would like the choirs in addition.

My machine is an Athlon 64 3700+ with 1 gig of ram. I am planning on expanding it to 2 gig in the near future (ram is so cheap nowadays!).

Thanks,
For what it's worth, I have Silver and Silver XP, but if I could do it all over again then I'd just get Gold. All things considered, Gold ends up being easier to use, and has more useful extra articulations over Silver than SilverXP gives. Plus, the chromatic sampling gives you a lot more options when you're doing advanced editing in Kontakt, especially with the TKT scripts.

VSL opus-2 covers a lot of the ground that the XP series does (muted brass, some string solos, flautando strings), and also includes a few preview patches from the other horizon series libraries (like epic horns, french oboe, etc.). Silver XP is missing a ton of the articulations that Gold and Platinum XP have, and it's still not chromatically sampled, so that's even more reason to go with Gold instead.

And yes, I was about 10 seconds away from saying "go for the Gold", so be glad I caught myself. ;-)
I would go with gold then. You should be able to get it under 500$, and buy more ram :)! Also invest in a separate hard drive for your samples.

Regards,
www.seanbeeson.com
Gold it is :).

Thanks for all the help guys!
David, BTW, drop me an e-mail. I might be able to help you out.

seanbeeson@seanbeeson.com

Sean
www.seanbeeson.com
Quote:Original post by BodweiserVII

...Symphonic Orchestra SILVER Edition. The entire series of samples were recorded with three microphone positions. SILVER uses the close-up microphones so you'll need to create some virtual atmosphere to make them sound "professionally" recorded.

I don't think this is true. I'm considering GOLD myself and found this on a website:

"The original Symphonic Orchestra is available in 3 versions.

Platinum Edition:24-bit samples, recorded from 3 phase-locked mic positions, chromatic sampling, 65 GB of samples, release trails.

Gold Edition:16-bit samples, only 1 mic position, chromatic sampling, 15 GB of samples, release trails.

Silver Edition:16-bit samples, only 1 mic position, stretched sampling, 2.4 GB of samples, no release trails.

The 3 Professional Expansion packages, when added to the original versions, add some new instruments, and many new articulations to the original instruments and orchestral sections. The size of the samples more than doubles when a Pro XP package is installed:"
I've noticed that you guys don't use the MOTU Symphonic Instrument library a lot(or at all [wink]). I mean, I heard one of its demos and it's pretty good (Turn On - MSI MP3 Demo).

So, what do you guys think about it?

Cheers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement