3D game engine

Started by
5 comments, last by SlyJackal 17 years, 11 months ago
Ok.. I'm new to GameDev well i have been here before but I just signed up so I'm new to the site. I have been developing software in my free time for several years now and always with gaming as a goal to get to eventually. I am self taught and I do pretty good in C++. But I have always had gaming in the back of my head that I wanted to get to and even have like 4 gaming books to help guide me. But I put them to the side until I can get more experience in C++ first but now I think I'm going to tackle it. I know its hard but so was C++ when I first dug in with just me and a book. Especially Windows programming. So I have an idea for a Shooter game and I think I'm going to tackle it. For my first game should license an engine or should I create my own. So far I haven't had much help getting people to help me since I'm so new and I will be mostly by myself. Maybe 2 others. I ordered a few books on Game engine developing and 3D programming incase mine are outdated. I do have a book on 3D game engine but its for just DOS and windows without DirectX which I'm sure I'll be using for PC gaming. Any input would be appreciated. I like the site so far and thanx. Jack
Advertisement
There is a database of 3D engines on the DevMaster website. Try looking there. Also don't rule out SDL in conjunction with OpenGL. Together they make a powerful combination of libraries that will work on Mac and Linux as well as Windows.

Some free graphics engines that I often hear recommended are Ogre and Irrlicht and both of them work in either DirectX or OpenGL using plugins. That should get you started.

BTW. You might have a hard time finding books on any of these since they are all free software and therefore don't have any commercial backing but that is what these forums are for.
Thanks for the reply, I'll check into that. I didn't know about that databaase. I appreciate the help.
hey slyJackal, im in the same boat as you. come check out my little blog i have with a friend. my friend and i just started getting into some game development and decided to do the breakout->tetris->pacman before venturing off into ai, networking, and other areas. we havent started yet but been gathering all the info we need to start.

http://thevoidptr.blogspot.com/

Cool, I checked out your blog. Good luck man and thanks for the post.

Jack
hey, you can check TrueVision3D Engine, it have a very well-documented and it is really simple to use and learn. It also have a simple project come their SDK.

If you want to talk about game developing with me you can add my MSN: invisal[at]gmail.com
DinGY
Yesterday is history.Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift"
Ok.. thats great man. Thanks for the post..
Jack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement