I am a beginner programmer who needs help

Started by
16 comments, last by gan 17 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by dbzprogrammer
Hey bud, if you want something small to download, go with Dev C++. http://www.bloodshed.net/

I'll second this, if the Visual C++ and Platform SDK download size are a problem for you Dev-C++ is a good choice; it lacks some of the features of Visual Studio, but it's a lot smaller and beginners often find it easier to set up. Code::Blocks (mentioned above) would also be a fine choice, although I havn't tried it personally.

What you're getting here is an IDE or Integrated Development Environment (definition), which is basically a fancy text editor, a compiler (definition), and a few other tools all built in. You won't need any other software to get started once you've got an IDE.

You'll probably also want to pick up some books and/or tutorials. Beginning C++ Game Programming would be a good choice for a book, and the online tutorials at www.cprogramming.com/ are pretty good.

Hope that helps.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement
Quote:Visual C++ 8.0 Express is freely available from Microsoft.

i think the link is broken. It's here.

For beginner, maybe u can try CodingForFun

I have gotten an SDK on a disc and

I am downloading VC++ right now

(4:30)pm on Monday
##########################################################You'll have time to rest when you're dead - Robert De Niro
Who knows where to find the source codes to games like tetris, pacman and breakout?
##########################################################You'll have time to rest when you're dead - Robert De Niro
http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=source+codes+to+games+like+tetris,+pacman+and+breakout&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
I think you can also order the Visual C++ and the Windows 2003 Platform SDK on CD. You might have to shell out 5 bucks or so, but that will bring you the best avaliable tools for software development on the Windows platform.

Alternatively, you could go and learn C#, which is signicantly smaller to download(300mb) and doesn't require additional software dev kits.

C# is completely different than C++ tho, but probably a bit easier to grasp for you than C++. This is due to the fact that C# doesn't have pointers, and doesn't require you to clean up your own memory.

But, you need to determine wether or not you want to learn C++ or choose a different language like C#.

Toolmaker

Quote:Original post by bxela1
Who knows where to find the source codes to games like tetris, pacman and breakout?

You will hardly learn programming by looking at other peoples' source codes. Get a book, start reading, do the exercises. Leave tetris and pacman alone for another couple of months.
Quote:
You will hardly learn programming by looking at other peoples' source codes. Get a book, start reading, do the exercises. Leave tetris and pacman alone for another couple of months.

agreed. I also dunno what I was doing after "modding" after people's artwork. It's good to have strong foundation

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement