More questions on cartoony world

Started by
3 comments, last by ManTis 17 years, 11 months ago
I want to make a terrain in my cartoony game based on a heightmap. Since blending (clickies) rocks with grass doesn't work well for cartoon graphics, I need a way to make good transitions without creating effect of saw from textured triangles. I thought about dividing the heightmap triangles on the line where rocks start and grass end, but I'm not so sure it will work (hey, it's 2 am ;) )Any other ideas?
If only noobs were boobs... the world would be a better place.
Advertisement
I think "blending" could work for that pretty well:
I guess you want a rather sharp transition from grass to rocks, right? For that I´d add a thin seam between the rock area and the grass area. On that seam (made of a triangle strip) you just blend from rock to grass. If you make that seam thin enough this could look good. On the other hand this would require splitting up your triangles I guess, in order to get a line to glue that seam to. And if you have to split the triangles anyway you could just leave that seam out.
Just wanted to mention it anyway ;)
Heheh :)

I was working on adding the split and another problem hit me (these cartoon worlds are scary!): How to add different textures depending on slope steepness? Here the seams are giving us problems: in normal rendering I could blend textures together, but here once again I want to have sharp edge. How should I do it in realtime calculated enviroment? The problem of 'saw edge' textures hits me again. Damn.

help?
You can still have "sharp" edges using blending though - just go straight from 1.0f to 0.0f or vice versa, but this way you can do that along a curved edge (defined by a texture) instead of necessarily using a triangle edge
Oooh... nice. Why haven't I thought about it? ;)

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement