New guy here asking some questions

Started by
2 comments, last by Avengerakos 17 years, 11 months ago
Hello all , I am new to this website.Or more like ..... I used to come here when I was 15 , but I don't remember my acc/password details so I had to make a new email adress to use :p Anyway back to the point.I am studying programming and computer engineering at university.I am still at a starting level but the whole idea of game programming has always fascinated me.I do not know C++.I know java.I am making a 2D platform/RPG game mix in Java but because people seem to be absolutely hostile against java and game programming I am starting to get anxious. Of course I will finish that game in Java and since it is 2D the supposedly slow java VM won't bother me a lot(I hope) but when I am not programming for that project I want to start learning C++ and game programming in C++.I was given 2 books by a friend. 1)C++ How to program 4th edition by Deitel 2)The Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre Lamothe So I'd like to ask you guys here since you seem eager to help any new guy with questions is this sufficient?Should I look somewhere else too?
Advertisement
Hi there,
I too am familiar with Java but not with C++ and so am learning C++. Therefore, I don't know whether those books are sufficient, but I can guide you here:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=392994
It's like on an online tutorial which guides you through the basics of C++ every week. If you have any problems, you can then ask one of the tutors. It's a great idea and is something I'm taking part in. Only thing is, you're going to need to get "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days".
good luck!
Quote:Original post by Avengerakos
I know java.I am making a 2D platform/RPG game mix

If this is your first game, then you should probably start a little smaller. Begin with a simple Pong clone, later move on to Tetris and other small games; then you should have enough experience to complete and RPG.

people seem to be absolutely hostile against java and game programming I am starting to get anxious.

I've never used the Java 2D API, but from what I've heard, it has a pretty bad reputation. Java is also notorious for being slow, and speed is absolutely critical when you're writing a large game. On top of that, Java was never designed to make games in the first place; the original project it evolved from, Oak, was designed to control microprocessors in appliances like VCR's and clocks, and Java today is primarily targeted at GUI building and web/system applications.

That being said, you can still use Java for game programming if you want to; it's just that most people don't.

I want to start learning C++ and game programming in C++.I was given 2 books by a friend.

1)C++ How to program 4th edition by Deitel
2)The Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre Lamothe

Book #2 is very outdated; I've never used #1. Personally, I would recommened Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, Fifthe Edition. This edition is only available in print; the free online Second Edition was written before the C++ standard, so I would stay far away from it.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
No it is not my 1st game.I had written a 2d platform game with only 2 levels to get the hang of how it is to program a game.And before that a simple space invaders clone game.I found no difficulty with java to be honest as far as speed is concerned.But the keyword is YET.So .. to be on the safe side I wanna learn c++ too.

From your comments though it seems my books are outdated.Well ... guess I will have to wait and see.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement