can you interchange? VB/C++?

Started by
4 comments, last by nullsquared 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi im pretty new to coding, and im making a small game to show off to my parent (im 14 and live with them), and im curious if i could make the windows form in Visual Basic, and then transfer the form over to C++ were im more familiar to coding? i cant make the form in C++, (dont understand) Maybe a tutorial to teach me about c++ windows forms? or someone telle me how i could transfer a form from VB? any alternatives? besides switching languages edit: Thanks Steelgripz
Advertisement
That's not possible with older versions of VB as far as I know, but if you use Visual Studio.NET I believe VC++ has a form editor more/less identical to the VB one, or at least if you use VB.NET and Managed C++.

I believe you can get Visual Studio express for free with both languages on Microsoft's website.
Steelgripz,

In general, no. Applications and libraries written in plain C++ or plain Visual Basic cannot be used in the opposite technology.

Now, with that being said, there are a number of technologies which make this possible. The most recent, and perhaps most notable is the .NET Framework and its CLI (Common Language Infrastructure). Using the .NET Framework you can create "Assemblies" in either C++/CLR or VB.NET, and then link the assemblies with any other language that runs on the CLR (Common Language Runtime). These assemblies can contain classes, forms, interfaces, and pretty much anything else you might want to transfer across the language boundry.

To my knowledge there is no less than half a dozen languages that currently have or are have in development a CLI implementation, including C++/CLR, C#, VB.NET, J#, Python, Ruby, PERL, COBOL, Java, Pascal, Fortran, etc...

For more information just ask here, or search on the web for ".NET Framework"

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
ok, well, im not ready for college, but i would really really like to make a 2d
game, i dont want anything fancy but if there is a (14y old friendly) tutorial or book, or maybe even a person willing to waste a hour talking with me

Were could i get some information on .NET programs, that would be easy to understand, i dont really like microsoft.com

thanks you all for your help
Steelgripz
Not sure what books I would recommend, as I taught myself .NET using just the reference materials (not what I'd recommend). However, you might start by downloading a copy of VS.NET 2005 Express Edition. Mind you, Microsoft has extended the C++ syntax to make in compatible with .NET.

Also, if you just want to learn how to make windows and manipulate graphics in C++, you might take a look at SDL. It is very popular, and, from what I hear, relatively easy to learn.
The thing mentioned about SDL I shall double!

SDL manages your window, graphics, input and sound (although you might want some extension libraries [SDL_image, SDL_mixer, etc.] to expand stuff).

And SDL is in C (but has bindings to other languages) and can be used with C++.

I'm 13 here and want to write something so right now I'm writing a little (sorta little, kinda medium) "wrapper" or "engine" to use SDL and simplify things.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement