what cell phone api

Started by
4 comments, last by Thygrrr 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi all, I am interested in game development on desktop. But now I will develope any cell phone games, but I know nothing about it. [my general question] 1) I am newbie in cell phones gamedev so it take me any time until I learnd it. So can help me anyone which api I have to choose? Now are some api's : m3g (jsr-184), opengl es, direct3d mobile, mascot capsule v3, and others... But which api's of these are perspective for the future. F.e.: i read, that mascot capsule will be dead when come 3d accelerators to cell phones (especially goforce chips), so i think, that good choose can be any of these: jsr-184, opengl es, direct3d mobile... On desktop I am opengl coder, so I will use opengl es or m3g... At this time I am decided for opengl... But is opengl es really good choise? What about speed ogl es apps in compare with m3g apps, or brew apps? Can anyone write me his own experience with each one of this api's? Or know anyone one better api? [other questions] 2) What about api's and platforms? I think that opengl es is supported only on symbian and windows mobile platform. free on symbian it's only for s60 nokia. m3g is supported on lots of phones. I know, the list of these phones is on www.jbenchmark.com, but where can i find the list of mobile, that support opengl es? Where can I find which api is supported on which platform (and which mobile)? 3) I have read that jsr-184 is on top of opengl es (so it's anything as wrapper?) then why phone, that support jsr-184 don't support opengl es? [hmm, other :-)] 4) I don't know, what can I ask... So if have anyone some good infos about gemedev api's and can recommend me any api and can write, why is this api the best, it will be great! Thanks for answers :-) best regards tomas - newbie in cell phone gamedev
Advertisement
Hi,

so now I have abswer on my second question. It take me more than day, but now I have it. futuremark develop spmark04 a 3dmobilemark06, both programs test mobile phones and in testing is included 3d test, that is render with opengl es, so when people find a list of phones that support one of these program, then he have also list of phones, that support opengl es: http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=5467&head=1&comments=1 (table on middle of the page) - and I forgot - this list include only symbian phones... but now I have the list and I know, where can I test my apps/games.

But theoretically can be possieble (I don't know, it's only my fiction, but it can be real) install support for ogl es (if isn't ogl es on this device) on each symbian s60 platform and windows mobile platform at leatst with software blitting.

[Edited by - blazek on June 12, 2006 1:35:20 AM]
1) M3G (JSR-184) has slightly better content tool support and the games will be portable to most phones with M3G support, in principle. The reality might differ.

OpenGL ES may offer better performance, but might limit the binary compatibility some what. Source compatibility between different platforms is quite good from the graphics perspective, still.

Fastest access to something on screen is probably through M3G, OpenGL ES will probably give better results, if you have time to spend.

3) The phone might have public Java APIs but the native APIs might be closed. Basically you have to use M3G, bacause you cannot write native applications for some devices.

Yours,
- Kalle

o Kalle Raita, 3D programmero Hybrid Graphics, Ltd.o Web: www.hybrid.fi
What hardware do you have access to? What software and APIs do you have access to?

Direct3D Mobile requires one of the few devices with Windows Mobile 5 on it. If you have one of those devices, along with Visual Studio 2005 Professional or above, then target it. If you don't already have that, you'll be investing about $1200 to get it.

OpenGL ES almost requires one of the few devices with 3D hardware acceleration on it, although there are all-software implementations. If you have one of those devices, along with the related development tools, then target it. Unless you already have one of those devices and tools, you'll be investing a few hundred bucks to get everything.

If you have an M3G (JSR-184) device and the related compilers and development tools, then target it. Unless you already have one of those devices and tools, you'll be investing a bit of money to get everything.

If you don't have any of those, but you do have [some device] and it targets [some api], and you can legally get [some compiler], then target that instead.

Although there is a bit of practicality to trying to see where the market is going, it is often best to get started with what you have. Because chances are that somebody else out there will have the same thing.
thank for good and truthful answers :-)

Tomas
Quote:Original post by blazek
thank for good and truthful answers :-)

Boy, that would be nasty if folks around here actually lied to newbies to mislead them.
Good luck with your development efforts!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement