Resources on Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH)

Started by
10 comments, last by wyrzy 17 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by wyrzy
I'm thinking of using the marching cubes algorithm for rendering the fluid. That should take care of problem of not having the mesh geometry, right?

Hmmmm...well, "level set" kind of refers to the idea of extracting isosurfaces/isocurves out of a continuous field solution. "Level set" does not refer to the actual fluid simulation technique, e.g., it is not the underlying method of solving for the continuous fluid field. So, the gridded result is the discretized continuous field solution. I'm rambling here, to may be clarify things for some people in the audience.

Yes, marching cubes is one way to extract a surface. Effectively....marching cubes gives you the mesh geometry even if you always compute on-the-fly and never actually store the mesh to cached data structures. So, that would work. And the marching cubes patent expired last year, I believe, so you could even use it in a commercial game without having to pay royalties (though I'm no lawyer).

The idea I gave, using a specialized alpha channel...was meant to completely replace the need to do something like marching cubes. And is quite truly simple in the 2D case---quite a bit simpler than marching cubes, but with potentially dirtier results. Could be done in 3D (volume fluids) too, but wouldn't be nearly as successful due to limited texture memory for volume textures... More rambling.

Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by grhodes_at_work

Hmmmm...well, "level set" kind of refers to the idea of extracting isosurfaces/isocurves out of a continuous field solution. "Level set" does not refer to the actual fluid simulation technique, e.g., it is not the underlying method of solving for the continuous fluid field. So, the gridded result is the discretized continuous field solution. I'm rambling here, to may be clarify things for some people in the audience.

The idea I gave, using a specialized alpha channel...was meant to completely replace the need to do something like marching cubes. And is quite truly simple in the 2D case---quite a bit simpler than marching cubes, but with potentially dirtier results. Could be done in 3D (volume fluids) too, but wouldn't be nearly as successful due to limited texture memory for volume textures... More rambling.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'm still rather new to most of this, so I'll need to do some more reading / researching for a while. I was a little confused by this book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0387954821/sr=8-1/qid=1150526071/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3668688-5749521?%5Fencoding=UTF8) and associated papers refrencing it. This is actually for a university project in the fall, so I still have a few months to figure out how to approach the problem.

But now that I look at one of my books (Game Physics), it does have a few sections on using level set extraction to render an implicit surfaces. I'm actually quite interested in the Surfels technique for rendering implicit surfaces that Eelco mentioned. I saw it used in a 2D fluid simulation at http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/water/ which I believe uses Surfels to render the water (though I could be mistaken) and smoothed particle hydrodynamics for simulation.

Thanks everyone for the help, I think I have enough info to get started.

[Edited by - wyrzy on June 17, 2006 7:40:31 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement