precision animation

Started by
3 comments, last by mvtapia 17 years, 11 months ago
I've been wondering about animation a games mesh. this question comes from sports games. I know that for certain movements like running, jumping, walking etc... an animation for each of these movements is made and you simply call it during the game. but for sports games like baseball. let's say a ground ball is hit and the player runs to the ball when in time to catch it how do it know the exact position to put the glove in order to not look like the ball desapears out of thin air and appears at the glove... do you have to make a series of animations for every posible position of the ball or can we move the bone of the mesh on the fly during the game. Just wondering because sports games look very accurate when it comes to this things. same in soccer with the legs and the ball... Does anybody know how this is done? thanks
Marco Tapia
Advertisement
I would probably have an animation for a short jump catch and a long ("flying" position) jump catch (i don't know much about tweening), both of which wouldn't adjust the overall position of the model at all. I would then line up the glove with the ball/project the position of the ball while the game is running. Alternatively, cut the camera scene and just fake it.
when you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
HAHAHAAHA... JUST FAKE IT.... very smart, I think your right. Maybe it takes to much procesing to tweek bones to much on the go... this is a solution, I was wondering if this is how big companies do it, not that I'm going to actually do it like them just as a general knowledge.
Marco Tapia
The magic google term you're looking for is "inverse kinematics".
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
thanks joanusdmentia a lot of material about it... I'll get reading.. very interesting!!!
Marco Tapia

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement