DXUT and pre-compiled headers

Started by
2 comments, last by jagguy 17 years, 10 months ago
hi I am writing a simple program for learning purposes without using DXUT callbacks (on say shadowvolume sample in dx9). The thing I am confused about is the standard includes and precompiled headers for DXUT. q) To learn how to program directx do you need to learn how to use pre-compiled headers for directx? eg DXUT functions. I like to keep it simple and DXUT functions for precompiled headers are badly documented and it is slowing me down. [Edited by - jagguy on June 12, 2006 9:41:45 PM]
Advertisement
i searched this forum for previous threads on dxut (forgot to do it ) and I think I see where it fits in.

I don't like it to be honest, as a beginner.
Yea, it's confusing. You basically need to replace the stdafx.h with the dxstdafx.h one. Then you need to copy the \Common\ directory from the SDK Samples\C++\Common, add all the files to your project and add the directory for the Project/Properties/Additional include paths. If it give you problems use a PCH, just go into properties and change it to not use precompiled headers.

In short, open one of the samples and make a note of the includes they do, the .lib files they link to in the Project/Properties/Linker section, and add the directory for the DXUT programs and headers to your include paths. Also, using DXUT mandates that you have your project set for UNICODE.

Or, just use the SimpleSample as the basic skeleton for your own application.

I didn't look at the samples until after I had read Frank Luna's intro to DX book. His new one is coming out now, and is a great place to start.
--------------------------Most of what I know came from Frank D. Luna's DirectX books
Quote:Original post by DXnut
Yea, it's confusing. You basically need to replace the stdafx.h with the dxstdafx.h one. Then you need to copy the \Common\ directory from the SDK Samples\C++\Common, add all the files to your project and add the directory for the Project/Properties/Additional include paths. If it give you problems use a PCH, just go into properties and change it to not use precompiled headers.

In short, open one of the samples and make a note of the includes they do, the .lib files they link to in the Project/Properties/Linker section, and add the directory for the DXUT programs and headers to your include paths. Also, using DXUT mandates that you have your project set for UNICODE.

Or, just use the SimpleSample as the basic skeleton for your own application.

I didn't look at the samples until after I had read Frank Luna's intro to DX book. His new one is coming out now, and is a great place to start.

I have an old ebook of Frank Luna's intro to DX and it is my main one to look at for now, small world isn't it.
Now I could do what you just said but, a lot of the code has DXUT functions in it which would need to be re-written. I tried on the shadowvolume sample, but yu need to know directx well in the 1st place (which I don't as I am learning).
Basically the samples for dx are not a good learning tool, it appears.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement