finding an OctTree world builder

Started by
4 comments, last by ViLiO 17 years, 10 months ago
can anyone help me in finding an OctTree world builder. Or something that can convert a BSP or MAP file into the OctTree format. I've looked and searched everywhere this is my last hope. Please don't leave me hanging.........
Advertisement

Is there an actual format called "OctTree" ?

As far as I know, octrees are used to partition a 3d space by recursively subdiving a node into eight octants (until certain conditions fulfill and no further subdividing is necessary).
sorry for the typeo.

is there any thing like Quark or Hammer out there that can help me?
Help you to do what exactly? Convert a quake bsp file into a some other file format which contains octree information?

If you are looking for a level editor, there is DeleD or you could use GTKRadiant or UnrealED (with some trickery)

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Yes, Quark works with many file formats, does any prog do a octree format.

will those progs create octree files as im starting to use the irrlicht engene
and i cant seem to find a octree world builder
Oh, you are talking about the .oct format used in FSRad.

I seriously don't know if there is a single application out there that will create those for you. That file format was created and used by Paul Nettle for his FSRad application and i've not seen them supported anywhere else (until now [smile]). If an app out there exists that exports to .oct then i'm sure somebody else can chime in or you could google it yourself.

However, Irrlicht supports a multitude of other formats
Quote:Currently supported mesh file formats:

* 3D Studio meshes (.3ds)
* Alias Wavefront Maya (.obj)
* Cartography shop 4 (.csm)
* COLLADA (.xml, .dae)
* DeleD (.dmf)
* FSRad oct (.oct)
* Microsoft DirectX (.x)
* Milkshape (.ms3d)
* My3DTools 3 (.my3D)
* Pulsar LMTools (.lmts)
* Quake 3 levels (.bsp)
* Quake 2 models (.md2)

If I were you i'd go with one of the others like Quake 3's .bsp files or DeleD's .dmf files. GTKRadiant will compile the former and of course DeleD will compile the latter [wink]

All the best,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement