Text Adventure/RPG in Python - Help

Started by
12 comments, last by Barius 17 years, 10 months ago
Hey everyone - I've recently started learning Python as my first programming/scripting language with the goal of creating a text adventure game as a first somewhat ambitious project, and then moving on towards a more ambitious idea of a text RPG. I've been learning a lot of small snippits of Python here and there and working on many small tutorials that introduce various core concepts about the language and programming in general. What I would absolutely love though is a tutorial involving the creation of either a text adventure game in Python, or, a text RPG. I've done a lot of googling and research, but I've been unable to find anything resembling what I'm looking for. I figured if anyone knew where to find something like that, they'd be in this community. Can anyone send me in the right direction? Much thanks, -M
Advertisement
This one is for making a Java applet text adventure, but the concepts are the same.
You might want to check out "Choose Your Own Adventure" in C++, and in Python by Zahlman. It's a pretty amazing system that he set up... If you can't get yourself a copy of it, send him a PM...
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
You might want to check out "Choose Your Own Adventure" in C++, and in Python by Zahlman. It's a pretty amazing system that he set up... If you can't get yourself a copy of it, send him a PM...

The python files won't download.
Yeah, my hosting sucks. Assuming Rob doesn't still have his mirror up of the stuff, you can PM me an email and I'll send it off (I'm treating it as public-domain code, because even if I wanted to integrate it into a tutorial or something, there are more than a couple things I'd want to improve - at least in the C++ version ;) )

This was actually an odd project. I first wrote a menu system in C++, in order to illustrate certain technical issues of C++ I/O for beginners. Then I built CYOA around that, as a way of testing the system (after all, a choose-your-own-adventure book is basically a series of "menus" with unusually long menu titles and choices that only ever link to other menus or report "The End". :) ) Then, finally, I redid the whole thing in Python, for the sake of comparing the languages.
I would be really interested in seeing the Python version of this myself. :O
Yeah - I'm pretty settled on Python as my language simply because it's the easiest language for me to look at - not very cryptic - and it's fast to test things out in (not to mention it's powerful enough to do what I want it to do), but I'm pretty surprised about the lack of documentation about creating the type of project I want to do in it.
I don't think you should be surprised; with an uncommon language and an uncommon game type, the statistical chance of seeing such a tutorial is fairly low.

If Zahlman's code doesn't help, you may do better by asking some directed questions regarding the best way to approach it. Start small: have a few room descriptions in a list, store the player's location as an index into that list, then implement a simple "display room -> request input -> move player according to input -> repeat" loop. I'd hardcode the commands to begin with, then create the proper versions once you're confident that the rest is working.
I can't figure out how to look at Zahl's stuff.
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Yeah, my hosting sucks. Assuming Rob doesn't still have his mirror up of the stuff, you can PM me an email and I'll send it off

Question answered? :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement