3d visualisation of real-time data...

Started by
12 comments, last by svpam 17 years, 10 months ago
You might want to use a form of fast ray-tracing and billboarding as described in this paper -

http://www.iit.bme.hu/~szirmay/firesmoke.pdf

that way you can get very neat effects without having to worry about the rotation. I have used a similar strategy as mentioned in the paper to render dynamically changing quantum wavefunctions with good speeds. I can post the corresponding shader code if you want.

Hope this helps!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by svpam
Hi all, right now I am able to update my textures and render them. there is still another problem.
i am creating slices along the z axis. so when i rotate the 3d object i have rendered, say a sphere(for example), after a particular angle what i see is just slices. now if i want to eliminate this problem by making 3 sets of textures along the 3 principal axes and render, how am i to go about it? could u pls elaborate?

Like i've said before, you'll get that either from 2D Texture Mapping or with 3D Texturing! Have you read the papers????? Also, you should take those details into account before you actually start programming, since they can change your design *a lot* (and this isn't a small detail)!
Thank You very much for your replies. I am trying to implement 2D texture mapping in my code for rendering the volume. but as I already said,I have just created one set of slices (only along the Z-axis,instead of three).
I will look into that problem shortly. Also I have another query now.

For creating and storing textures I have used the following two methods:

1. I created 20 textures in managed pool and then used them for rendering.

2. I created a "base" texture in system memory and have 20 "plain textures" in default pool. I am using the update surface method to copy the base texture onto the plain one (this base texture is updated for each plain texture).

In both the above methods, I am using LockRect()and D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8.

I understand that the bottleneck here is the data transfer from system memory to the graphics card. could it be possible to have a color lookup table in graphics memory storing R,G,B values so that I can use D3DFMT_A8 and will then just have to transfer less data frm system memory into graphics card.but then how will I be able to map these R,G,B values from the LUT before rendering?
Will D3DXFillTexture() be of any help?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement