Requirementrs to develop games

Started by
7 comments, last by kimi 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi, can you all tell me what are the requirements to make games. I know C++ but I don't think, I know advance level to make games. I am still learning and going through Jwalsh C++ workshop. What am I supposed to know before I can make games[help]. Also some tools but I think I can find it in begineers section, there is a thread by Furny. But please mention here as well for newbies to use. My aim is to make a 2D game before 2nd week of december. Any simple game. I would love to make a 3D game but atleast I want to start and have a realistic chance of making them. I also know little bit of data structures. Any help will be great[smile] P.s I am sorry if this is been asked before.
Advertisement
Moving to For Beginners.
Now that Ravuya has pointed you over to the right forum, you might want to check out the resources link at the top of this site and peruse through some of those articles. Not only has this question been asked, but it has been thousands of times. Run a search for tutorials.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Ok. I wants to know. Those who have made some simple games. How did you all start. How long it took and what program you all wrote before you were able to make games.
I would recommend checking out the "For Beginners" forum FAQ.

Here

The links provided should give you a good idea of what you need to develop games. I would also recommend posting further questions in the "For Beginners" forum, as "Help Wanted" is meant more for personnel help rather than to answer questions.

As is, you probably know enough to begin making games. Tic-Tac-Toe, Hangman, Text-based adventure, and numerous other games are easily possible with knowledge limited to language functionality and keyboard text input / monitor text output. This is a fantastic place to start, as it allows you to learn how to make games without having to worry about more complex things such as 2d/3d graphics and sound.

However, text-based games often seem boring. If you want to jump right in to graphics, there are numerous options available and information on them can be found through the forumn FAQ.

Be sure to read up on the various forum FAQs as well as old posts (via the search feature) to learn how to get the most out of our community. Be sure to have fun, too.

EDIT:
Quote:Original post by kimi
Ok. I wants to know. Those who have made some simple games. How did you all start. How long it took and what program you all wrote before you were able to make games.

I began game programming with QBASIC when I was about 11. For me, games (and other fun graphical things) were the only reason to program, so I created a few simple games (bad pacman clone, bad adventure game, and a bad side scrolling space shooter). I learned C++ after that, though it took years before I could comprehend enough to write games with it. Currently, I use Java for game development.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
I suppose you want graphics so SDL or Allegro(never tried) is what you want.
Also I recommend this thread .
Just to let you know 3d is a lot harder than it looks. So many more things to do. Also pay good attention in the workshop, it will be very useful to you if you plan to stay in c++.

EDIT: I agree with the guy before it will take you a while to make a game. I practice c++ for bout a week (boring week) then took me about another week to make an OK text tic-tac-toe. Graphics are 5x harder.
slymrHopefully game is in progress.
Thanks for reply[smile]. Yes, I was desperate so I posted it in help section. I can do some begineers level program and also know little bit of data structures(I need to practise more) some seraching/sorting.

SDL, I Just saw Marius Andra tutorial[wow]. Can I use SDL for some 2D games. I have never worked with grahics before. Like in Pong game how the two bars move vertically to deflect the ball, whihc moves horizontally between the two bars. I had like to know that.
Well SDL is great for that and it is fairly easy, but remember not to rush yourself in learning anything. Its best to make sure that you are going to remember what you are learning than to go too far and realize that you've set yourself up for failure. Good Luck!
This means SDL is good for such games and I can try to implement and see if it works. Is this the way such games are made.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement