Losing can be fun?

Started by
27 comments, last by Spoonbender 17 years, 9 months ago
Joust on NES. I cracked watching the birds explode.
Bigfoot on NES. It was funny whether you beat the computer of got beaten.
Balloon Fight on NES. Got eaten by the whale is the best way to die.
Advertisement
Rush 64.

Seriously. I would do the mode where you can just mess around (999 seconds of fun each time) for hours, trying to find the craziest ways to kill myself, and discovering just about every single little glitch in that game.

And I can't believe no one has mentioned the OBVIOUS:

Ski Free. Come on!
Mortal Kombat..waiting and waiting and waiting for an enemy to do a fatality.

[Edited by - Salsa on July 18, 2006 7:04:55 AM]

Kult House - Fresh Production Media

I always had great fun terminating the luckless scientists in Half Life 1. A good .357 blast to the brainpan or placing a satchel charge between their feet and blowing them to gibby kibble was always morbidly satisfying. I even went so far to build horrific scenerios for them with the Worldcraft editor. Placing a bunch of them on a big glass floor above a pit full of snarks and bullsquids, then shooting it with a pistol to break the glass.....oh the humanity.

I'm such a sick bastard. [dead]

Ryan Buhr

Technical Lead | Sector 13

Reactor Interactive, LLC

Facebook | Twitter

yes sims was a whole lot of fun.
Building a pool let them swim and sell the ladder,so they can't get out. They gain a little strength and drown.

GTA demos with cheats are also a lot of fun.

"There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't."
Quote:Original post by Salsa
Rush 64.

Seriously. I would do the mode where you can just mess around (999 seconds of fun each time) for hours, trying to find the craziest ways to kill myself, and discovering just about every single little glitch in that game.

There are tons of great places to explore in that game. I've barely played the normal mode except to pick up the keys I discover in the exploring mode. [grin]
Tactics Ogre for the Snes is incredibly challenging and engaging in its level of difficulty. Its not fun to lose, but its almost humbling in this case. The odds are almost always against you and the strategic element adds a large replay value to every scenario. When you win, it is really something to savor...when you lose it makes you content to know that the enemy never let up on you and this simply wasn't just another game that you will beat in a few hours without being touched. ;)

I think losing actually makes all games more fun...or at least the chance of losing makes the game better. It makes victory that much sweeter.
There was a 3D flat-shaded F1 racing game I found about eight years ago or so. For fun, I turned the thing around and smashed into the oncoming cars. To my surprise, tires and other junk flew off the cars! Imagine a 50-car pileup and pieces flying everywhere. I was hooked since.

The Worms series is another good one, where (unless you're trying to complete the game) it's actually fun to lose. I've spent hours upon hours creating bigger and bigger explosions; the more collateral damage, the better. There are also plenty of online games where it's fun to mess around, sometimes resulting in your team losing-- some guy told me that's called "griefing" and is generally looked down upon... ha, silly douchebag. He just doesn't get it.
____________Numbermind StudiosCurrently in hibernation.
Object tossing in Half Life 2 Deathmatch. Watching someone get creamed with a sink fixture can be pretty amusing.
We'll bring your children up in the classic English manner, by making them learn latin, and beating them half to death in a single sex environment.
Quote:Original post by Nytegard
From Wired

I actually sort of agree with this. I guess one of the games I like most is Ultima 7. And while I do play it alot, I've had a lot more fun with cheat mode on and just causing utter chaos, completely destroying any chance of actually having a real shot at winning.

What games are there that honestly promote fun in losing that you don't feel that bad? And honestly, how do you accomplish such a task?

Medieval: Total War!
You might lose, but at least you'll lose in a big huge battle with thousands of soldiers fighting each others!
I think it's the only game I've played where I truly don't mind losing. Just because trying to beat the overwhelming odds is so much fun. :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement