Windows vs. Linux

Started by
32 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 9 months ago
It comes down to how good looking you are. Highly attractive people generally choose Windows for development.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
Highly attractive people generally choose Windows for development.

You mean people with opposite charges?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Why isn't anyone developing on Amiga anymore?

Personally, I like the Visual Studio IDE on Windows, but I always try to develop cross-platform code, or at least code that could very easily be ported among different OS's. That's just personal preference.
Quote:Original post by DIB
Why isn't anyone developing on Amiga anymore?

The last time I hacked code on my 1200HD was in Blitz, about a half year ago.
Quote:Original post by icehac
Wow guys, thanks for the replies, much appreciated! :D. I think we've decided to go to linux. Can any1 suggest any compilers and programs for creating models, i heard 'Blender' (correct me if I'm wrong) is a model making program for linux.

Thanks in Advance,
Ryan

Compilers:
g++(recommended)
intel c++ (costs $$$)

Model creation programs:
Wings3D
Blender

Those are native, but anim8or runs really well under wine so it's also a viable option.
Based on the title of this thread I'm going to have to say

No.
I'm new to these forums, so hello all. I also thought this would be the perfect place to get a question answered for me. Me and a few buddies are gonna make an fps using c++ and opengl. The debate we're having right now, is wether to use linux, or windows for gameplay. I haven't really seen any good titles out for linux, i could be mistaken though. If any1 could point me in the right direction or give me the pros and cons of building a game on these 2 operating systems, that would be great.

Thanks,
Ryan

I use and develop for both. I just use a cross-platform engine, such as Irrlicht, though pure OpenGL of course works as well. Sometimes I will work on it on Linux and sometimes on Windows.

(Note: If you make it cross-platform, beware of line ending messups! Search strings read from files for '\n' and '\r' characters and remove all occurances!)
I would also recommend the cross-platform route, if you are interested i'm planning on using (or already using) the following libaries:

SDL - Windowing, Input etc.
OpenAL - Audio
HawkNL - Networking
Newton Game Dynamics - Physics

For development I use KDevelop, however for problems that are hard to solve I recompile in VC++ to use the debugger (but only VERY rarely)

For modelling Wing3D is easy to use and cross-platform.

Well, those are my suggestions :)

Luke.
Member of the NeHe team.
Quote:Original post by eedok
Wow guys, thanks for the replies, much appreciated! :D. I think we've decided to go to linux. Can any1 suggest any compilers and programs for creating models, i heard 'Blender' (correct me if I'm wrong) is a model making program for linux.

Thanks in Advance,
Ryan

Compilers:
g++(recommended)
intel c++ (costs $$$)

Model creation programs:
Wings3D
Blender

Those are native, but anim8or runs really well under wine so it's also a viable option.
Last time I checked, the (awesome) Intel compiler ICC was free forLinux, but about $300 for Windows. Makes me think about getting a Linux configuration set up.

Quote:Original post by aphydx
java

In java you write a lot of code to get basic things like file io done. C++ is as portable as java, I just ported my 3d editor with over 30k lines of code from windows(VC2003 toolkit) to linux/GCC 4.01 and I only had to change 100 lines of code.
Those 100 lines were just some pure written piece of code.

I would go for linux, porting the app back to windows later should be the least problem.
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement