Windows vs. Linux

Started by
32 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 8 months ago
Like so many others have said, SDL + OGL + SDL extension libs = high quality game on any platform.

You *really* don't need to worry about what OS you're writing on with that combo - you can have one dev running windows, one running linux, one running mac, all working on the source at the same time with identical results (CM software, of course, would be required in such a case).

Personally, I use kwrite to code, Makefiles to keep projects together, gdb + valgrind to debug (valgrind is a tool without parallel - nothing like it is available in the windows world) under linux.

When developing under Windows, I use visual studios, eclipse, and gcc. VS for the mid-weight debugging (vastly superior to gdb, though cannot do what valgrind does - neither can valgrind do what VS does), eclipse and gcc when I just want to compile something under Windows (after heavy linux development) and don't want to worry about modifying the project yet again because it doesn't understand a basic Makefile.

In the end, within seconds I can have a binary compiled for each OS with code that I finished writing only 5 seconds ago.

There is no *nix vs. windows - they're the same thing from a decent developer's point of view now.
The great pop-tart GAWD of Mt. Kellogs
Advertisement
I used to use Anjuta running Xubuntu in a Dell box.
Spent too much time tweaking and fussing with it.
Now I just use gedit or pico with g++ and get lots more done !
Just my $0.02

Ray
Ha I read the title of this thread and the first thing that popped into my head was "you @!#$ !@$#" not because I am a fanboy of either, but rather because I thought the OP just commited GD.net suicide.

That all out of the way, I'm glad to see that its a more reasonable thread, personally I'd love to see more games made specifically for linux. However crossplatform is more realistic, as you will appeal to a much larger user base.
Like others have said, GCC + SDL (and its libraries) + OpenGL is the way to go for a technology basis that will work on any modern platform.

Tools wise I would chose Eclipse, and its CDT plugin for C++ development which will is of GREAT use for refactoring, debugging and just plain helping you avoid typical pitfalls.

And again, like someone else mentioned - use Valgrind! You will find you bugs sooo much faster, and get a much more stable program.

Oh, and you might want to check out your options for automatic memory management in C++. I think the Boost libraries have something useable.

And its a free (gratis and libre) setup.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement