Two players camera

Started by
7 comments, last by Bob Janova 17 years, 9 months ago
Hello, Did anyone have any suggestion to me where can I find some article talk about implementing 2 player cameras in a RPG game? Or any one has any ideas/experience which is a good approach to this problem? Thanks!
Nachi Lau (In Christ, I never die)www.sky-dio.com/Nachi
Advertisement
What do you mean by two cameras? Do you want two players to play split-screen? Same screen?
Oh, what I mean is 2 player within 1 screen.
Are you in 3D or 2D?
oh, may be I should describe it in more detail,

Actually, I am working on a 3D two players third person RPG game. There is some problem with the camera but we don't want to use split screen. What we want to do is to make both player in the same screen space but can apply constraint to the camera so that it is somewhat predictable. The 2 players situation make the camera implementation quite tricky, as the result, I would like to see any one have any idea/suggestion about 2 players camera implementation.

Thanks!
There is no "good" solution to this I've seen. Approaches I've seen are...

- Design the game to restrict the gameplay to players can't get too far apart.
- Concentrate on one player and if the other leaves the screen he disappears (maybe with a pointer indicating which direction he's in).
- Keep zooming out so all players are on screen, zoom back in when they get closer together.

Quote:Original post by griffin2000
There is no "good" solution to this I've seen. Approaches I've seen are...

- Design the game to restrict the gameplay to players can't get too far apart.

This is the approach I'd take, perhaps with some sort of zooming facility.

The best same-screen multiplayer I've seen was the original Toejam & Earl, which split the screen when you are no longer nearby the other player and went back to two players on one screen when you became near them again.
um.. I agree. It seems that not many people interest about camera implementation, and especially 2 player camera. The game which I am referencing right now is Lego Star War. I think they do a pretty good job of the two player cameras.
The simplest answer, only really suitable for large open space games I guess, is to point the camera at the midpoint of the line between the two players, facing in their average look direction. (If they are looking in completely opposite directions, leave it where it was before, I guess.) Then move far enough back along the camera look vector until both players are in shot.

If you plan on having enclosed spaces – rooms, buildings or whatever – or even large terrain (higher than the camera) then there will sometimes be occasions where it is impossible to have both players in shot together.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement