Rotating a rotation matrix around the global axes

Started by
2 comments, last by Atash 17 years, 9 months ago
I was wondering how one might go about rotating a rotation matrix around the global axes as opposed to the local axes (just multiplying the matrix by the other rotation matrix). I checked around google, but unfortunately didn't pull up anything. Does anyone have any (almost) easy way of doing this? Thanks in advance :)
*After Argument*P1: What was it about?P2: Something involving a chair, a cat, and a rubber ducky...
Advertisement
Reverse the order of the operands.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
You can rotate a rotation matrix about either a local or global axis by multiplying it with a global axis rotation matrix on either the left or the right.

Let R be the rotation matrix and G be the global axis rotation matrix. When using column vectors, R*G is a local axis rotation and G*R is a global axis rotation. When using row vectors, G*R is a local axis rotation and R*G is a global axis rotation. [i.e. what John said.]

Does that answer your question?

Now I really feel like an idiot.

Thanks, regardless.
*After Argument*P1: What was it about?P2: Something involving a chair, a cat, and a rubber ducky...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement