[.net] Confuzed with WinFX!

Started by
3 comments, last by ernow 17 years, 8 months ago
Hello there! I want to make a WIndow framework for a new 3D Engine. I want to make the basic functions. Create the window.. Init Direct3D... Init OpenGL.. switch between the two APIs... Detect the available display modes.. Detect AA.. AF ... etc But i am confuzed with the WinFX stuff... What is gonna be the difference when I will use WinFX? just the win32 funtions? CreateWindowEx(), RegisterClass(), WinMain()? Or something else? Can I use OpenGL with WinFX? or will be some problem? can someone explain me with simple words what is gonna change (in code) when I use WinFX instead of Win32? Sorry for the stupid questions :thank you!
Advertisement
You scrambling up completely different technologies which really don't have much in common. Sometimes you'll be using them beside each other, but other then that, they don't really mesh.

First of all, WinFX is an API to represent graphical user interfaces differently that how they would normally look. The WinFX is something new coming in .NET 3.0 . Second of all, Direct3D and OpenGL are graphics APIs which can bind your program up to hardware to provide 3D hardware accelerated graphics. The Win32 API is used to create basic windows and stuff and if you're using the .NET Framework, it's already wrapped up for you in nice classes.

A 3D engine would require a vast amount of knowledge and experience to make and considering the questions you've asked, I don't think you have nearly enough of both to create a good 3D engine. My recommendation then would be to go out and try all three of those technologies individually before moving on. See which is which, where to use each one, how they differ. Once you're familiar with the technology itself, then you can use it.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
lol man!! I know what OGL and D3D is. and also win32. I also have made an 3d engine with them in the past. I just don't know/understand what WinFX is exactly.
I also know that "The WinFX is something new coming in .NET 3.0". Anyway I will search google today to find the answer.But if someone still wants to answer my question with simple words.. its ok!
thanks.
Quote:Original post by Unreal
Hello there!
I want to make a WIndow framework for a new 3D Engine.
I want to make the basic functions. Create the window.. Init Direct3D... Init OpenGL.. switch between the two APIs... Detect the available display modes.. Detect AA.. AF ... etc
But i am confuzed with the WinFX stuff...
What is gonna be the difference when I will use WinFX?
I will say this for everyone's benefit: For god's sake don't try to combine WinFX and Direct3D unless you have a really good reason to do so.

WinFX and more specifically Avalon provide a ton of really really cool things right now, but it is terribly wrought with nasty gotchas when it comes to integrating with hardware accelerated 3D viewports. Stick to WinForms and render to a regular window unless you damn well know what you're doing. Using Avalon controls along with D3D is possible, to some extent, if you're very careful and you follow all the rules -- most of which don't seem to be well documented publicly and some of which are probably not written in stone.

To make a long story short, don't try any of this until Vista and WinFX are released, at the very least. WinFX on its own is great, but you're asking for trouble if you try to combine Direct3D with it. If you really, really want to do this, then go learn Avalon for a while, then once you're comfortable with just that, then we can talk.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
WinFX isn't just Windows Presentation Foundation(WPF FKA Avalon)! I think that experimenting with Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) and Windowss Communication Foundation (WCF)might result in very interesting projects that use WF for AI amd WCF for networking! I'm using WPF for tooling.

Cheers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement