Populous spherical world

Started by
13 comments, last by kordova 17 years, 8 months ago
Civilization 4 does a bit of the same, and I know they've written a few articles about how they implemented it (I think I saw them on gamasutra, but not 100% sure, been a while since I read it)
Advertisement
they all stole it from tetrisphere ... !!! :D

(or how can you arange square - blocks on a sphere? *smile*)
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Quote:Original post by Ebola0001
hehe last time i checked the real world was a sphere, the last time it was flat was the dark ages. (dos? hehe)

anyway i would think that spore being procedural and all has a height map in memory and generates local terrain off that, when you are zoomed in to that level, and just has a ball with the height map controlling the height of the vertices to it to give it bumpiness, or something similiar. but then again I'm not will wright, he may have some cool algoriths pumping it all out, from nothing.

The problem with this approach is that the poles would end up looking like they're pinched. But if you made sure that the area surrounding the poles and the poles themselves were a uniform height, it wouldn't be a problem. However this is the approach I'm using in the game I'm working on. It seems to give (generally speaking) better results than the approach daireq suggested. Specifically the seams that show up between textures using his approach. I've never quite figured out how to make those go away in a nice manner.
Quote:Original post by TheFez6255
The problem with this approach is that the poles would end up looking like they're pinched. But if you made sure that the area surrounding the poles and the poles themselves were a uniform height, it wouldn't be a problem. However this is the approach I'm using in the game I'm working on. It seems to give (generally speaking) better results than the approach daireq suggested. Specifically the seams that show up between textures using his approach. I've never quite figured out how to make those go away in a nice manner.

Yeah, I have about 4 or 5 small tiled textures that I apply according to what terrain type that bit of the sphere is. ie forest, mountain, beach, high mountain, farmland etc etc. The actual UVs are baked onto the mesh at creation, At the moment I'm using a tiled cubemap UVW wrapping to generate them, but there are those ugly seams allright. I haven't managed to find a perfect way of applying a good tiled mapping to a sphere.

D.

If you start with an icosahedron, why not use more than one texture? Why not generate and map the lowest LOD triangles individually to 20 textures, or 10, each representing 2 triangles (etc..)?

While slower, it would certainly alleviate seam issues. Thoughts?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement