Help with choosing Game Engine for Monopoly-type Game

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 9 months ago
I am interested in making a monopoly-like game in the PC basically for personal enjoyment due to the fact that the current electronic version of Monopoly available doesn't let me customize the cards/game pieces/board (only the name on the board is customizable). Of all the game engines out there, what would you say is the best one for a newbie like myself to be able to accomplish this monumental task (or at least it seems that way to me)? I would like the game to be in 3D, with very challenging AI (if that is possible). I do not have the cashflow necessary to hire a programmer/3D artist so my only recourse would be to either get someone that can crack the code in the current game available or make my own. Any help will be deeply appreciated.
Advertisement
You could check out Ogre3D for an engine. It's free, which is a plus. It may be a bit complicated if you are just beginning, but I'm sure others with more knowledge than I can find a better engine for beginners.

The AI will be a bit harder, IMO. But you shouldn't begin worrying about that yet. Get a game where you can load the board and select your pieces before you begin thinking about how complex anything will be. [grin].

How much experience do you have in programming? That could help out a lot of people here who want to help you.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
I would suggest picking an engine that can be used from a programming language you are comfortable in.

A Monopoly type game isn't going tax any decent computer system, and a few dropped frame would hardly be noticed.

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

AI is difficult stuff. Seriously, I would forget about it for now.

Handling stuff in 3D is also needlessly complicated. And how exactly do you expect a simple board game like Monopoly to benefit from 3D rendering anyway?

Anyway, consider Pygame.
what about a program called GameStudio? Is it good?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement