Relic *.ebp format

Started by
5 comments, last by e-u-l-o-g-y 17 years, 8 months ago
Hi! I was wondering if anyone know of any information on Relic Entertainment's ebp-format? I've been googling for a bit, but can't seem to find anything, and the exporter for 3ds max is in binary format.. As a sidenote.. does anybody know if it's a copyrighted/closed format? I guess I'll make my own for the project I'm working on if it is, but this one seems to contain most of what I need and an open common format is always a good thing! Thanks! [Edited by - e-u-l-o-g-y on August 18, 2006 12:39:43 PM]
my-eulogy - A blog about coding and gfxsdgi - Semi-Daily Game IdeaChunkyHacker - Viewer for Relic chunky formats (used in DOW)
Advertisement
I can't help you directly, but I may be able to point you in the right direction. Brother Santos on the Relic forums has released some MaxScript tools for Dawn of War modders, one of which converts WHE files to EBP files. He states further down (post #6) that the two formats are nearly the same. So, if you can't figure it out by studying the scripts, then you may be able to get him to help you.

I don't know if the format is copyrighted, but it and other Relic file formats have been reverse-engineered by at least a few people in the modding community (who have mentioned doing so on Relic's own forum), and Relic hasn't slapped them down. So, take that for what you will.
Thanks alot! Relic seem to be quite nice to modders, so I guess perhaps using the format in a non-profit/possible open source project could be acceptable to them. I'll send them a mail if I decide to use the format... right now I just want to check out the structure :)

[Edited by - e-u-l-o-g-y on August 18, 2006 12:26:17 PM]
my-eulogy - A blog about coding and gfxsdgi - Semi-Daily Game IdeaChunkyHacker - Viewer for Relic chunky formats (used in DOW)
I've reverse engineered Relic file formats for Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, and released tools to work with them. There have been no quabbles from THQ staff, Relic staff or RelicNews staff regarding these tools. The only thing that has come up is Tranj (THQ's representative to the Relic community) asked that "Delphy" and I wait until Company of Heroes' public release to release community tools for it.
Corsix: Does that mean that you have some code I can have a look at?

[Edited by - e-u-l-o-g-y on August 18, 2006 12:42:33 PM]
I don't have any code for EBP files, only SGA, RGD, RGT, UCS and LUA.
After having a look at it - ebp files weren't the ones I was looking for after all. I was actually looking for the model files which are WHM and SGM files... do you happen to know why they have SGM files - I've read that they're only used by the object editor. Any suggestions on why they're not using WHM files to preview animations (I haven't looked into sgm files yet - only whm)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement