Learning DirectX

Started by
5 comments, last by Armadon 17 years, 8 months ago
Hi. I am completely new to directX. How do I start learning? I don't want to do all the MFC and heard that something like "Managed DirectX" exists that will take care of window creation problem. Is it true? Is there a better way of learning?
Advertisement
Managed DirectX uses the .NET Framework, which makes your life easier but limits you to the Windows platform.

You can go to mdxinfo.com, it's a great learning resource for Managed DirectX. But if you were planning to use C++, the site probably isn't much help, since it's for C#. But I do reccomend C#, it uses a syntax similiar to C++ but is easier to get into. Try it out!

If you want to learn regular DX, go to google and search for "DirectX Tutorial" and I'm sure you'll get a lot of hits.

- Martin
You could always have checked out the sticky thread at the top of the forum listing: RFC: Your new DirectX Forum FAQ can be found here... [wink]

Or, to save you an extra click you can go straight to the updated FAQ by clicking HERE. The first section, prior to the actual FAQ questions, should give you plenty of information for getting started. The first of the D3D FAQ's (scan for D3D #1) contains the information that I got from regular visitors to these forums regarding your question.

If you check out the content in the FAQ and find something missing then please do let me know.

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

DX rules im learning it aswell im not using mdx i really wanna do it the hard and tough way :)
Regarding the FAQ, how can anyone miss that wacky dancing icon??? I crack up every time I see it.
--------------------------Most of what I know came from Frank D. Luna's DirectX books
Quote:Original post by DXnut
Regarding the FAQ, how can anyone miss that wacky dancing icon??? I crack up every time I see it.
So my cunning plan worked, eh? [looksaround]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

I must commend Jack on an awesome FAQ update.
It's really amazing, congrats and nice work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement