C # / C++ Not A Debate But Your Advice / Experience

Started by
33 comments, last by yadango 17 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by snk_kid
One thing that seems to be missed with these kind of discussions is the fact the merits of using C# isn't really C# it's really the merits of .NET. I mean if you have an issue with C# then you have a whole array of other languages that target .NET. I don't know if you guys get what i'm trying to say.
Very well put.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Advertisement
I would have to agree with the Anonymous Poster several posts back, and say stick with C++. I have worked with Java, C++, and C#. IMO, managed languages, like Java and C#, don't give give the programmer enough freedom to program and fully appreciate what your code is doing. They hide to much of the system from the programmer. It is true that C++ allows you to hang yourself, but how can you learn if you don't make mistakes?

Also, everything you learn in C++ is applicable in many (if not all) other languages. I don't agree with smitty1276. The concepts and ideas are definitely applicable. However, learning an OO langauge like C#/Java first will help carry you through C++, I can't follow that logic. So, if smitty or someone else can explain that logic, please help me to understand. Though that seems like a conversation for another thread.

Quote:Original post by Low Bias
I've got enough of a handle on C++ that I could probably finish a game in C++. I understand most of books like Effective C++ and have strived to learn "proper" and modern C++.

But I've been hearing more and more about C#. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me your opinions and a bit about any experience you might have with either language.

from these two sentences you seem to be in the same boat as I... you have A LOT more C++ experience than C# (i started with Borland C++ 3.1 back in 1992, but only JUST started using C# seriously a few months ago). so you should go with C++. it's what you already know. it's what can get you to your goals the fastest. time is money so chip shop hip hop get ur ass programming that game lol! and on the side, on your spare time, if you want to twiddle your fiddle with C#, give it a hark!
Quote:Original post by c0d3_s4mur41
It is true that C++ allows you to hang yourself, but how can you learn if you don't make mistakes?

What are you trying to learn? If your goal is to learn how memory works, then sure C++ is a reasonably good tool. But personally, I would rather spend my time learning how to make well written programs.
Quote:Original post by c0d3_s4mur41
However, learning an OO langauge like C#/Java first will help carry you through C++, I can't follow that logic. So, if smitty or someone else can explain that logic, please help me to understand. Though that seems like a conversation for another thread.

Learning a language that doesn't bog you down with useless crap will help carry you through C++, because they allow you to focus on things that actually matter, like structure, design, and testing. Those are universal...how to safely cast pointers so that the proper destructor gets called is not.

CM
he he he C# allows one to hang himself too... i used to think C# garbage collected everything... then i started using it... and found myself doing a lot of 'Dispose'ing and tracking down memory leaks lol.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement