Object limits for games?

Started by
3 comments, last by mikeman 17 years, 8 months ago
I just got the hang of modeling in blender, thanks to Wolfmanyoda's sword making tutorial. =) Now I've heard about limits to objects from some game developers but I was never sure what they ment by it. Is there a limit to the vertices a object has to reduce loading time or something like that? Does it depend on the engine thats used to make the game? Obviously I'm pretty new to all of this so thanks to anyone who has the patience to help me out. =P
Advertisement

Well, umm, game objects aren't really related to the 3d modeled objects, otherwise than that the 3d model presents some game object.

There is some sense in limiting the number of game objects when considering the CPU strength and available memory.

For a single 3d-mesh, a good vertex limit is 65536, that is with 16-bit indexing. Nowadays GPUs support bigger indices, but there might be a performance hit. Of course, the problem can be avoided by splitting the mesh to several parts.

Loading 3d-data isn't usually the slowest step. Textures tend to take some time when loading.

Cheers !
The limit isn't about loading time, it's about execution time and how the object is stored in memory.
Quote:Original post by Demus79

Well, umm, game objects aren't really related to the 3d modeled objects, otherwise than that the 3d model presents some game object.

There is some sense in limiting the number of game objects when considering the CPU strength and available memory.

For a single 3d-mesh, a good vertex limit is 65536, that is with 16-bit indexing. Nowadays GPUs support bigger indices, but there might be a performance hit. Of course, the problem can be avoided by splitting the mesh to several parts.

Loading 3d-data isn't usually the slowest step. Textures tend to take some time when loading.

Cheers !

Eh? The models that are in the 3D packages are what end up being rendered in the game (possibly with some additional processing).

There are a ton potential different limits, but what the OP was asking about is most likely about polygon count. And, yes, the engine being used makes a huge difference in terms of what you can do poly-count wise, as does the choice of target hardware.
There are no absolute limits(well, theoretically there are like exceeding 4GB of RAM in Win32 or wasting the entire VRAM, but this is not what we're talking about). There are a lot of limitations depending on a lot of factors. For example, Unreal Tournament which features arenas with relatively few intelligent enemies can afford to use high-polycount models. Serious Sam which features levels with hordes upon hordes of stupid monsters naturally must use lower polycount on its models if it wants to achieve decent framerate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement