Jesus Camp!

Started by
130 comments, last by Dmytry 17 years, 7 months ago
I saw the trailer, it was a little awkward at first despite that I am a christian. I don't think these people mean "war" in the context we think. Their main goal is to turn America towards God and more christian fundamentals. I don't believe they mean any mortal harm. "War", "enemies", and "Are you part of this or not" is probably meant to excite the kids rather than to scare us.

-forgive me for my opinion...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by vrok137
I saw the trailer, it was a little awkward at first despite that I am a christian. I don't think these people mean "war" in the context we think. Their main goal is to turn America towards God and more christian fundamentals. I don't believe they mean any mortal harm. "War", "enemies", and "Are you part of this or not" is probably meant to excite the kids rather than to scare us.

-forgive me for my opinion...

You're forgiven, but you seem to have missed the point. Obviously they don't plan an armed insurrection. It's the overall freaky cult aura that people find disturbing about the video.
Quote:Original post by SticksandStones
Quote:Your reaction is exactly the same as their root reaction to your moral, religious and political positions, and all it takes is a small radical element for an identical militant "movement" to emerge.
Only I'm not taking kids and brainwashing them. [smile]

That's the second, radical and militant part I talked about. Pay attention. [smile]

Quote:Original post by Antisheep
Oluseyi: Your post suggests that you either (1) aren't trying at all to see this from anyone else's perspective besides your own or (2) that you have no problem with children being brainwashed like this. No disrespect, but...sheesh. =P

Children are brainwashed all the time. It's called socialization. It's usually not this insidious, but consider the absolutely fucked perspective most North Americans have of the third world: brainwashing. Consider the attitudes lots of people have about anyone of another skin color/ethnicity/class: brainwashing. Consider India's caste system: brainwashing.

Further, children have been used as chattel and agents for all sorts of economic, social and political/military action since the dawn of time. The notion of "childhood" is a recent development, and still not pervasive in certain parts of the world.

Most importantly, what are you going to do about it? After you tsk-tsk, cluck and click your teeth and generally vent how shocked - shocked! - you are at this based on your liberal humanist outlook, you'll forget about it and these people will continue indoctrinating their children. So if you're not going to do anything (and you're not), then why all the textual posturing?

Maybe I'm callous, but that's just how I see it.
Quote:Your reaction is exactly the same as their root reaction to your moral, religious and political positions, and all it takes is a small radical element for an identical militant "movement" to emerge.

or maybe thats just what you think because you bainwash your children along with the mainstream? ofcource then its just called names like 'raising' and 'educating'.

that said, i havnt even watched the video but im glad i dont live anywhere close to these people.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi

That's the second, radical and militant part I talked about. Pay attention. [smile]

Quote:Original post by Antisheep
Oluseyi: Your post suggests that you either (1) aren't trying at all to see this from anyone else's perspective besides your own or (2) that you have no problem with children being brainwashed like this. No disrespect, but...sheesh. =P

Children are brainwashed all the time. It's called socialization. It's usually not this insidious, but consider the absolutely fucked perspective most North Americans have of the third world: brainwashing. Consider the attitudes lots of people have about anyone of another skin color/ethnicity/class: brainwashing. Consider India's caste system: brainwashing.

Further, children have been used as chattel and agents for all sorts of economic, social and political/military action since the dawn of time. The notion of "childhood" is a recent development, and still not pervasive in certain parts of the world.

Most importantly, what are you going to do about it? After you tsk-tsk, cluck and click your teeth and generally vent how shocked - shocked! - you are at this based on your liberal humanist outlook, you'll forget about it and these people will continue indoctrinating their children. So if you're not going to do anything (and you're not), then why all the textual posturing?

Maybe I'm callous, but that's just how I see it.

Dude, I get your point about people talking a lot of fluff, hyprocrisy, and spouting moral indignation, often at things that effect them, but then ignoring all the stuff that hurts other people because of their arrogant, pompous attitude of only caring about themselves, and people just talking, but never doing anything, but, action results from intention, and maybe it's now a surprise to you, because your so saturated and calloused to world, but intention doesn't come out thin air. People need to talk and think about the world, they need to experience it, and open ended discussion and viewpoints is a good fucking thing.

Maybe it will finally push people to do something. It sure took a long time for a Rosa Parks to emerge, and I am sure it wasn't the first time she was asked to sit in the back of the bus. Your nihilistic and callous attitude hurts more then it helps, and it obfuscates your message of people walking the walk. Especially with that flying spaghetti damn "Liberal" comment. Liberals may not act as much as conservatives, but you know why that is Oluseyi? That's because they fucking think about things..

This is all my opinion, and I truely believe there should be a balance between thinking and action. Sometimes it's time to act, at others, it's time to think.
Maybe it is just me, but I thought the most disturbing thing in the video was that kid's mullet [disturbed]
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Quote:Original post by ViLiO
Maybe it is just me, but I thought the most disturbing thing in the video was that kid's mullet [disturbed]

I was thinking the same exact thing.

WTF?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir
Quote:Original post by ViLiO

I was thinking the same exact thing.

WTF?

Maybe part of fighting their "war" involves making their "enemies" laugh so hard they can't fight back? [smile]
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
I'll retract my "very scary" comment, it was pobably the wrong way to escribe my feelings about the clip, disturbing probably would have been better.

But i stand by my other statement. The chance are very very high that these people aren't talking about going to war and killing people in the "name of God".

And, as Oluseyi said "...all it takes is a small radical element for an identical militant "movement" to emerge." this is very true, but it's a very fine line between the kind of things in that clip and starting to become fanatical.
And i've had first hand experience of dealing with fanatics and it's not nice.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared, to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heartrending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his training shoes.
o.O
how come you care so much about those kids getting brainwashed?

you get brainwashed everyday and doesn't even notice or care...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement