Jesus Camp!

Started by
130 comments, last by Dmytry 17 years, 7 months ago
We could use DarkBASIC Pro to write our Brainwash software!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
See, i'm not brainwashed to fly airplane into building or do something like that. Those muslim terrorist guys are. These christian guys almost are, ready to be used this way if there will be some christian OBL.

The cultural/moral relativism/"everyone is brainwashed" argument only goes so long before it gets rediculous, and Oluseyi's one is surely very rediculous. Of course everyone is educated in someway. Sure everyone eats some food. And sure there's different opinions on what food is the best, different preferences, etc. It doesn't anyhow mean there exist no poisons.

the thing is, poison has a well defined meaning: a lethal substance.

what is moral poison? aside from the fact that every definition of such would be a moral statement itself, even if we were to, for instance, assume that a moral system that has a high probability of leading to deaths is a moral poison, youre still nowhere. hitler was a pacifist towards aryans, so maybe after he would have killed off all non-aryans, the world would have become completely pacifist, and in the long run his ideas would have been the least morally poisoning?

there are no absolute morals, and if you pretend there are, thats just because you want to exploit the rethoric fact that 'this is wrong' is more persuasive than 'i think this is wrong'.

the thing is: you dont need absolute morality on your side to act. 'i think this is wrong and im going to kick your ass' is even more persuasive than 'this is wrong'. moral relativism does in no way imply that you cannot or shouldnt condemn or act on other peoples behavior.
Quote:Original post by Oberon_Command
We could use DarkBASIC Pro to write our Brainwash software!

It is lines like these where a [rofl] smilie is needed.
We'll bring your children up in the classic English manner, by making them learn latin, and beating them half to death in a single sex environment.
I'm going to apply to be the leader of this cult!

I have relevant experience!
Speaking of the devil...

Quote:Original post by Eelco
hitler was a pacifist towards aryans...

Utter nonsense. He would kill them too if they were gay, communist or if they helped Jews. Hitler was not a pacifist at all towards anyone, so please spare us the fourth reich fantasies.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Speaking of the devil...

Quote:Original post by Eelco
hitler was a pacifist towards aryans...

Utter nonsense. He would kill them too if they were gay, communist or if they helped Jews. Hitler was not a pacifist at all towards anyone, so please spare us the fourth reich fantasies.

you are missing the point on both fronts.

a) that was supposed to be reduction ad absurdum, not a fantasy. i didnt make it up, thats what the man himself claimed
b) the details of the specific example are utterly irrelevant. no matter how many aryan gays he killed, its still possible the endresult would be a net 'saving'.
The fact is that both of us misused the word. Pacifist is a noun. You used it as an adjective and I followed suit.

Hitler was not a pacifist by any stretch of the imagination. He may have been pacifistic towards aryans, but that's still a very poor choice of words to describe his attitude towards them.

Quote:
pac‧i‧fist

–noun
1. a person who believes in pacifism or is opposed to war or to violence of any kind.
2. a person whose personal belief in pacifism causes him or her to refuse being drafted into military service. Compare conscientious objector.

pac‧i‧fis‧tic
–adjective
of or pertaining to pacifism or pacifists.
[Origin: 1925–30; pacif(ic) + -istic]

—Related forms
pac‧i‧fis‧ti‧cal‧ly, adverb

pac·i·fism
n.

1. The belief that disputes between nations should and can be settled peacefully.
1. Opposition to war or violence as a means of resolving disputes.
2. Such opposition demonstrated by refusal to participate in military action.

I don't see how any of those words apply to Hitler.

The cost of your speculative "savings" is exhorbitant to the point of making the notion absurd. You're completely overlooking that Nazism was ultimately all about war and conquest. They could have conquered the world and that wouldn't have gone away.

Quote:
The term Aryan derives from the ancient peoples who lived in Iran and the Indus Valley. Following the ideas of Gobineau and others, the Nazi theorist Alfred Rosenberg claimed that these were a dynamic warrior people who originated in northern climates, from which they migrated south, eventually reaching India. They were supposed to be the ancestors of the ancient Germanic tribes, who shared their warrior values.
Master race

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
<br><br>My thoughts &#111;n this video went like this "I smell a new crusades."
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir
Quote:Original post by ViLiO
Maybe it is just me, but I thought the most disturbing thing in the video was that kid's mullet [disturbed]

I was thinking the same exact thing.

WTF?

Congratulations! You took the obvious bait!
all around the world today, a kilo is a measure;a kilo is 1000 grams, easy to remember
Thanks for Oluyesi and Eelco for injecting some much needed reality into this thread.

In Africa, one might imagine that one would name one's child "Righteous Sword of God" out of arrogance due to persecution. Hell, my name means "Who is like God" (a statement or a rhetorical question), but I don't think my parents meant anything by it.

Do you all realize all of you "scared" by the clip are contributing to some almost worthless hysteria? Do you realize that the documentary is targeted to your sensibilities? Have you ever seen videos of gangfights in Russia, or read Western Maoist documents? This threat is just another irrelevant but popular one to be played up, since there is a dollar to be made (hello, commercial release! Yes, I'll fund your totally neutral documentary, says no one) and word to be spread.

And I think the point about secular brainwashing is often missed. One reacts with his/her gut too often at "the other," and this is no different from that.

I went to a Jesus Camp as well. I learned to play guitar there. It was an excellent experience. Any language of "warfare" was couched in "spiritual" terms, which I imagine is the case here as well, but obviously edited out.
all around the world today, a kilo is a measure;a kilo is 1000 grams, easy to remember

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement