Newbie question

Started by
0 comments, last by swordfish 17 years, 7 months ago
I have experience in the following: Delphi Visual studio 2005 c# pocket pc and a small amount in flash. We have in house people using 3ds max. I need to create the following and looking for advice on where to start. 1. A simple 3d demo application client can walk into various rooms within the rooms be able to manipulate / move rotate objects (products). When happy with the position render the objects full quality and export / print the render of the image. 2. A 3d poker game. Player can play each other over the net. high score tables etc. various rooms with different levels / and 3d demos/tutorials. 3. We are playing around with scripts within 3ds max. Is there a way to use these scripts outside 3ds. eg. A cup has a logo.jpg wrapped around and rotates to show the product. We change the script to wrap logo2 around the cup and re-render the scene. Any help appreciated SteveW
Advertisement
1) You'll need an IDE (Visual Studio). You'll need a 3D rendering library (OpenGL or DirectX). Learn how to initialize windowing with your specific system (or use a cross-platform windowing library such as SDL). Learn how to draw 3D objects. Learn how to setup a stationary 3D camera. Learn how to accept user input from keyboard and/or mouse (platform specific, you can likely use a windowing library such as SDL for this). Learn how to tie user input to the camera. Learn how to achieve object picking with the mouse (OpenGL provides a built-in way to do this, however it can be achieved using pure math). Learn how to achieve object manipulation with the mouse. Exporting the scene depends on your exact implementation, and printing an image is platform dependent.

2) Most from #1 applies here. You'll need to learn how to use sockets and networking constructs (packets, pipes, etc.) which are platform dependent. There should be cross-platform networking libraries available for your use.

3) I'm not sure if there is some sort of library for using 3ds max scripts, but you could always write your own interpreter/compiler for the scripts.
http://blog.protonovus.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement