Leveling and weapon damage

Started by
13 comments, last by Metorical 17 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Yvanhoe
Well, as pointed in numerous threads, medical simulation and stamina limitations are more realistic but are no fun at all. After all, the goal is to make you "slow down" make sure the pace of the game isn't suffering of that.

Well.. it might be fun - it all depends on how you handle it. A battle where two persons are hitting each other in turn and slowly draining life isn't really all that fun either if you think about it. I would say that a stamina system might open up for alot of interesting things. For one it would show quite clarely who's having the upper hand when you don't manage to attack the enemy because you've only got enough energy left to defend yourself. I would also expect that rage-abilities which temporarily boosts your stamina when you're almost worn out could be quite cool. It would also add the strategic element of having enough juice left to run from battle if that's needed.
my-eulogy - A blog about coding and gfxsdgi - Semi-Daily Game IdeaChunkyHacker - Viewer for Relic chunky formats (used in DOW)
Advertisement
Stamina does have some uses in games, although in others its used horribly. A great example of where its used horribly is Diablo II, where it is used solely for running around. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion uses staminaa little bit better, where stamina is used whenever you swing your sword or jump, but imo it does not still use stamina to its fullest. In the game if you want, you can attempt to parry and hold out either your sword or shield as long as you want. How many ppl do you know who can hold a shield up to their foes for 15-30 mins? I would get rather tired myself.

I agree with the fact that HP is at best a bad way of role playing (what year was it invented? 60s? 70s? c'mon now!), but until a better system is devised/accepted, its unlikely that this will change. Making a game too realistic as has been stated does not always equal fun to play. If you remove HP from the game, and have attacks more realistic, what now do you do with magic spells and such? Healing seems fairly simple (maybe I am wrong), but spells like, a fireball for example would turn you extra crispy or would make you throwing off your super heated armor (this creates a great image in my head of a bunch of monsters running around screaming with armor melting to them). Does this really make the game fun? That is the question which will haunt all of us forever.
Quote:Original post by Fournicolas
lately, I've been toying with the idea of having not more damage done, because that's just ridiculous, reality-wise, given that no one, at ANY level of skill in anything, can survive a headshot, or someone slicing his head. But on the other hand, learning new tricks MAY help.

I remember when one woman was tied up and her husband was playing with a gun. It shoted when it was close to her head and aimed at her. She survived. (Of course that gun was locked, however certain types of guns could fire even when locked, it was one of them.)

And of course you could remember at the flesh wound, that was caused to princes from Dragon Half. Sword right through her heart appeared at the other side.

[Edited by - Raghar on September 7, 2006 9:06:16 AM]
Quote:Original post by Raghar
lately, I've been toying with the idea of having not more damage done, because that's just ridiculous, reality-wise, given that no one, at ANY level of skill in anything, can survive a headshot, or someone slicing his head. But on the other hand, learning new tricks MAY help.

I remember when one woman was tied up and her husband was playing with a gun. It shoted when it was close to her head and aimed at her. She survived. (Of course that gun was locked, however certain types of guns could fire even when locked, it was one of them.)

And of course you could remember at the flesh wound, that was caused to princes from Dragon Half. Sword right through her heart appeared at the other side.

Ok, then some are lucky enough to survive a shot in the head, or are supernatural enough to have a sword through the heart be minor "flesh wound"...

Hopefully, there won't be many "special" people like these two exemples. Being sure to die if you fail makes for an exciting fight. It also makes for strong frustration when you DO die, but people must learn. After all, in SF2, people DID die all the time, until they learned how to beat every other character with a specific range of moves. That's just the same, only with a different fighting style...
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
After all, in SF2, people DID die all the time, until they learned how to beat every other character with a specific range of moves. That's just the same, only with a different fighting style...

SF2? Street Fighter 2?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement