Anyone use XCode? I've got a problem

Started by
7 comments, last by swiftcoder 17 years, 7 months ago
It helps if you've used the older versions of XCode. I'm trying to get it to compile my SDL + OpenGL applications, but it's being annoying. Remember in the pre-2.0 (I think... maybe pre 2.2) versions of XCode there was a window that came up when you went to "Edit Active Target" that would let you add search paths and customize linker settings? What happened to it? The new window that comes up with I try to edit the active target is 100% useless and makes setting up my project seemingly impossible. Can I get the old one back? For reference, here's the windows I'm talking about Old style window New style
"ok, pac man is an old gameand, there are faces which is eatin up shits" - da madface
Advertisement
Is there any reason you haven't updated to the most recent version? I don't know if it would solve your problem, but it would probably be a good idea.

Anyway, I've encountered the same problem, and unfortunately I don't know the solution :-( Depending on which of my projects I'm working with, one or the other window seems to open in response to the same menu selection or command, and I'm not sure what determines which. I'm not terribly knowledgable about Xcode though (even though I use it all the time), so it could just be some setting or option that's configured wrong.

I always suggest this in response to Xcode/OSX questions, but in addition to asking here you should also post this question at idevgames.com, along with the screenshots you posted here (which make it very clear what you're talking about).

Also, you should be able to do what you need to do in the other window - it's just not as convenient. For search paths, click on the 'Build' tab at the top of the window, and then select 'Search Paths' from the 'Collection' menu.
My situation is exactly what you described, old projects open in the old window, etc. And I HAVE upgraded to the lastest version, I'm pretty sure that's what's causing my problem. I want to code on my shiny new MacBook, but so far stuff only compiles on my PowerBook, with all the right libraries installed.

Edit: I'm working on learning the new window, but I'm not that motivated right now.
"ok, pac man is an old gameand, there are faces which is eatin up shits" - da madface
Quote:Original post by Foobar of Integers
My situation is exactly what you described, old projects open in the old window, etc. And I HAVE upgraded to the lastest version, I'm pretty sure that's what's causing my problem. I want to code on my shiny new MacBook, but so far stuff only compiles on my PowerBook, with all the right libraries installed.

Edit: I'm working on learning the new window, but I'm not that motivated right now.

Have you upgraded the old project to a native one? Old projects were build using Jam, Xcode 2.0 and higher uses its own build system. After upgrading (in the "Project" menu, IIRC) you get the new dialog (for new targets, named "$OldTarget (upgraded)"; the old targets are left unchanged).

The new dialog lets you customize linker etc. settings. Apart from selecting the "Linking" collection, you have a small search entry field in the upper right; use it to filter the list for "link" et.al. You also can copy and paste settings. Look into the Xcode documentation, "Configuration files" (again, IIRC).

Kristine
Yeah, I think the problem is that he's upgraded to a new target, but wants to use the old Target Inspector window instead of the new one.
Well, this is solved, you could say:

According to idevgames, I'm stuck with the new style unless I'm making a Java project.

Thanks for the advice, anyway.
Quote:Original post by Foobar of Integers
According to idevgames, I'm stuck with the new style unless I'm making a Java project.

And 2 gets you 1 that the Java projects move to the new-style build settings next version ;)
What exactly is so confusing about the new window anyway? It is just a list of build settings for you to edit, so just ignore the ones you don't need.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

The reason I don't like it is that there's no longer a "Browse" button for entering framework and header search paths.

Just laziness on my part.

I'm really surprised there seems to be no xml file inside the xcodeproj that I can edit.

[Edited by - Ravuya on September 20, 2006 3:01:20 PM]
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
The reason I don't like it is that there's no longer a "Browse" button for entering framework and header search paths.

Drag-n-drop or copy-n-paste files/folders into the paths value, it automatically places just the path. Browse was always a pain for me, since one couldn't find directories under '/usr/' easily. Or even better, just spotlight and drag.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement