Building a .lib using a .lib?

Started by
10 comments, last by Serapth 17 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Serapth
In this case, im not completely sure if the end user will need both lib files or not. However, if you build an EXE or DLL that link in static libraries, and distribute those, again the end user will be ignorant.

This is the case. The end user isn't the person using the final application but the programmer implimenting the derived library.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by tstrimp
Quote:Original post by Serapth
In this case, im not completely sure if the end user will need both lib files or not. However, if you build an EXE or DLL that link in static libraries, and distribute those, again the end user will be ignorant.

This is the case. The end user isn't the person using the final application but the programmer implimenting the derived library.

Im not talking implimenting though, im talking if the person wants someone down the road to be able to compile against their code. Even then it shouldnt matter. For example, if I create 4 libs, one for adding, one for multiplying, one for division and one for subtraction. Then later on down the road, I want to create an uber math lib that links in all methods from those 4 libs I can. The only catch I can think of is the linker will only link in code that is referenced. So, in the case of my math lib, I didnt link in a certain function for my add.lib, that function will no longer be available to people I distributed math.lib to.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement