Going in the Army

Started by
195 comments, last by LessBread 17 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Prinz Eugn
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Are we still building B-2's? That article is really about Congress and the military budget.

It's wrong, though, and a little new would've made it correct. I don't put it on the average reader to know that it's talking about only current weapons. The B-2 was a pretty big deal with expense when it was revealed, too(When they were built each was worth slightly more than their weight in gold, IIRC), and there are still some questions over it's stealth capabilities.

And I know about the F-22 controversy, you don't have to throw every F-22 article you can find in 5 minutes with google at me, although the last article you quoted was well done, one of the good examples of giving both sides.

It's also interesting to note how this is an example of the war in Iraq working against military spending; it's hard to pay for cool new stuff when you're spending so much on bombs and gas.

I wasn't throwing those articles at you. The bottom line is why are we still wasting billions preparing for a war that we won 15 years ago? The fact is that any jet fighter will do when fighting against terrorists because they don't have any at all!

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Advertisement
I think the problem here is locating terrorists, because once the position of a target is known even the vintage jet fighters could blow the entire area into ashes. F22 is mainly designed for air superiority, which is not a need for the U.S. right now.
Quote:Original post by BerwynIrish
*ungrateful whining*

How many in this thread have actually served?

Exactly, you know jack about what I do or what I go through. You do not know what my responsibilities are and you have not experience the sacrifices I have. Of course I'm sure it makes you sleep better at night knowing that you can sling dirt all the way to Iraq from the comfort of your safe little home. Ignorance is bliss.
Programming since 1995.
Quote:Original post by T1Oracle
*ungrateful whining*

Not having done something doesn't preclude you from having an opinion on it.

Quote:Exactly, you know jack about what I do or what I go through. You do not know what my responsibilities are and you have not experience the sacrifices I have.

Agreed. That being said, if it were up to most people in this thread, you'd be spending quality time with your family instead of being trapped in a hell-hole. Most people posting here that participated in the threads back then tought Iraq was a bad idea, and even more think it was now.

Quote:Of course I'm sure it makes you sleep better at night knowing that you can sling dirt all the way to Iraq from the comfort of your safe little home. Ignorance is bliss.

What do you expect ? Gratitude ? You'll have mine when the Iraqis are really better off. Right now I don't feel the US military deserve the world's gratitude for the mess that Iraq is. If you want pity, I can give it to you tough. You don't deserve to be there, and I really hope you'll be safe and get back soon. As it stands now however, you are someone doing the crappy job he's getting paid to do because he's stuck in a nasty but voluntary contract.

The one thing that would make me sleep better at night would be knowing that the de facto 'leader' of Occident isn't actively pissing off a big part of Orient

Edit: What I mean is that the job you have to do is crappy, not that you are doing a crappy job, if that's what's confused the below poster.

[Edited by - jfclavette on October 1, 2006 2:17:51 AM]
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
I always hate it when conservatives try to argue that not supporting the war is not supporting the troops. Views such as this make it sound like they have a point. I feel our troops have, overall, performed admirably. I don't see that our troops serving in Iraq owe any apologies to anyone for obeying a lawfully issued order. The thought of them doing otherwise terrifies me. Those that joined the military are no more responsible for decisions made by the commander in chief than those that didn't vote for him.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.
T1Oracle, if you were conscript soldier set to vietnam, i'd fully give my pity (not exactly gratitude tho because of lack of any positive results. If it was korea, there'd be gratitude of making south korea a nice place (as compared to north)), etc, etc.
You're contract soldier though, paid for your job, which you signed to (assuming you signed after iraq war). US hired you do to something, that's all. The only difference between that and hiring hitman is that hitman is paid per target and you're paid per hour. (note: hitman can be used for many things including but not limited to good things like defending freedom. Same applies to army)
Why exactly should BerwynIrish be more grateful to you than to any other kind of paid job?

Furthermore, this kind of "gratitude for defending freedom" you're expecting so much is just a propagandistic tool. Whose real purprose is to save money on gratitude as expressed in $$ paid. Really, they're telling you that you're defending freedom la la la for purprose of paying you less for equivalent work. That's OK if you like it, but if BerwynIrish disagree he's under no obligation to participate in said propaganda.

[Edited by - Dmytry on October 1, 2006 2:03:40 AM]
Quote:Original post by jfclavette
Quote:Original post by T1Oracle
*ungrateful whining*

Not having done something doesn't preclude you from having an opinion on it.

Indeed - otherwise the majority of people would have to have led a country of 300 million to order to criticise the President, which is nonsense.
Sometimes I just want to shoot myself when I hear the things being said.

T1Oracle, and to anyone else in the armed forces, I honor you and I respect you and I'm grateful for everything you are putting your life on the line for. It takes real guts and courage and selfless duty to do what you do.

To everyone else, the United States Military will ALWAYS be around and doing the tough sh*t our country needs done so that civilians back home don't have to - so that civilians back home and live their normal lives with their normal lawns and their normal families and not have to worry about threats within and without. Go actually talk with someone in the military sometime. Get a clue.

I'm joining the Army because it's the most honorable and respectable thing a young adult can do for his country.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Quote:I'm joining the Army because it's the most honorable and respectable thing a young adult can do for his country.
Incorrect. The most honorable and respectable thing a young adult can do for his country is voting (with knowledge to back up that vote, of course).
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Quote:Original post by skittleoso that civilians back home and live their normal lives with their normal lawns and their normal families

and their giant SUVs and their swimming pools and McD and what not...
after all, it's americas god-given right to be the most powerfull and richest country in the world, despite mainly exporting dollar-notes and starting war with everyone who doesn't want them.
------------------------------------------------------------Jawohl, Herr Oberst!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement