Learning Guidance..

Started by
2 comments, last by Helderash 17 years, 7 months ago
Hello folks! I was wondering if anyone could offer me a few hints. Im a C++ programmer, interested in learning how to create games, preferably ending up using DirectX 9. Following a lot of advice on the forum I started with a tic tac toe console game which I've managed to get fully working. I've also been reading Jim Adams' book on "Programming Role Playing Games in DirectX 2ed" and am currently working through his chapters on designing a games engine. My problem is it all seems a bit fast. The book seems to quickly get onto 3D meshes, and the creation of what seems quite an advanced RPG. While this is fine, id quite like to make a few smaller, less complex (and less time consuming) games for starters, say tetris or pong, without getting stuck into this huge graphics engine. Can anyone point me in the direction of a set of good online tutorials, or a book, which uses DirectX 9 to make a few simpler games? Thankyou for everything, I really appreciate the help. James.
Advertisement
Well, there's this C++ Tetris post here.
I've also found ones in the past just searching the web (something like "C++ DirectX Tetris tutorial" should work). Although, it seems now (as compared to 2 years ago), there are alot more sites trying to get you to pay for their resources. Still, should be able to find some free ones. I think there's also an article on GameDev somewhere.

Ahh here's one I found. This looks like a good site, but I can't vouch for the quality of the tutorial: Aaron's Arcade Game Tutorials EDIT2: Didn't see you explicitely wanted DX9 - he uses SDL I think.

EDIT: Looks like lots of others with the same question in old posts here.
Tadd- WarbleWare
Drunken Hyena is a member of these forums (though I haven't seen him around for a while). His site is well-written, -laid out and is great for newcomers. Highly recommended.
However, this is just one page in forty thousand. A little common sense, a little patience and a lot of [google] will take you far.

Regards
Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
Thankyou for such speedy replies! I'll get to reading through those sites right away.

And yes, im trying to stick to DX9 as much as possible. One reason is due to the book I've been reading. I find I understand quite a lot of the principles used in the book, im just looking for a simpler application; but mainly because im preparing for a future university project which will be undertaken using DX9 :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement