Open Source MMORPG

Started by
11 comments, last by MatrixCubed 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by PlayerX
How did you make your own 2D MMORPG if you can't code?

makin a 2d mmo is way dif then a 3d one. Theres alot of 2d mmo engines and Vb and stuff is not as hard as C++ and stuff.
Advertisement
You can make a 3D MMORPG in Visual Basic.NET if you want. Use Managed DirectX, and the .X file format, which you can load and animate using the DirectX SDK from VB.NET.

In fact, most MMORPGs aren't much more than a 2D game that's been prettied up to 3D. You don't need physics, for example, for most MMORPGs.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by 9sam1
hi there. Im looking for an open source mmorpg. something either 3d or iso. Whats the best one?? im lookin for something maybe a bit easy. i dont intend to really program much, more like just host server and fiddle with it maybe. thanks.

im not sure if thats a bit confusing but what im trying to say is that. Awhile ago i found somehting kinda like this. It was 3d and it allowed me to host it and all and i didnt really have to program anything. And i just like edited items to what i want and all that. It was a crappy game though which is why im lookin for something better. So if anyone knows of something like this can you gimme a link or something thanks :)

I administered a UO POL server in the past. It's pretty decent as far as extensibility is concerned, has a decent proprietary scripting language (eScript), but is NOT open source. Still, it's a good way to get your feet wet, as the community support is (sort of) there.

Alternatively, I'm building my own multiplayer RPG engine (link in sig). You're welcome to drop by and take a peek, though I shall warn you now, it's in its infancy yet :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement