DirectSound is driving me insane! Please Help...

Started by
13 comments, last by AzrielCross 17 years, 6 months ago
Your code compiled and ran fine for me.
I'm on Windows XP, so maybe Vista doesn't support DirectSound; I'm not sure though. Or maybe it has to do with Direct3D 10; again not sure though.

Good luck!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Programmer16
I'm on Windows XP, so maybe Vista doesn't support DirectSound; I'm not sure though. Or maybe it has to do with Direct3D 10; again not sure though.

Good luck!

lol well that's bleak :) So what are my alternatives to using DirectMusic? Surely there must be some work around... I can't believe there will be no more audio in games after vista and dx10 become mainstream lol :)
I must have generated alot of errors when I was compiled... ~Azriel Cross
Quote:Original post by AzrielCross

Good luck!

lol well that's bleak :) So what are my alternatives to using DirectMusic? Surely there must be some work around... I can't believe there will be no more audio in games after vista and dx10 become mainstream lol :)

I just mentioned it since I believe that both are still in the beta stage (DX10 may not be anymore; not sure though.)

There are tons of options: XAct, OpenAL, audiere, and FMOD.

Try googling "sound library" + "C++" or something similar.
I can assure you that both DirectMusic and DirectSound work perfectly fine on Vista. DirectMusic after all is just an interface that wraps the DirectSound interface, and there are a ton of games that use DirectSound, and they still work in Vista.
I just mentioned it since I believe that both are still in the beta stage (DX10 may not be anymore; not sure though.)

There are tons of options: XAct, OpenAL, audiere, and FMOD.

Try googling "sound library" + "C++" or something similar.

lol, yeah I was kidding about the future of vista not having sound :) DirectSound is a real pain to get a wav file to play however. I fiddled with this all day and still never managed to get that performance to init correctly. Like you said, it seems I am doing everything correctly, it just isn't working on my system for some reason. As far as the other options, I was definately interested in XACT and had originally gone that route for the sound setup, however, in all their genius Microsoft released the latest DirectX SDK (with DX10) for Vista compatibility, which is the entire reason I went ahead and upgraded to Vista in the first place, then afterwards I noted that XACT is *not* compatible with Vista yet. FUN!! lol. So I'll be waiting for an update to this in the future for playing with XACT.

The other options are developed around wrappers and I'm trying to stay away from that. I feel I will learn more if I don't use a wrapper. I'm in college right now majoring in Game Development (Only my first semester) so I'm sure I'll be expected to write my own wrappers and not use anyone elses. I don't want to rely on that now and then have to go back and relearn how they did it in the first place.

However, in the end I did manage to resolve the whole thing in one nice little line of code:

PlaySound("ball.wav",NULL,SND_ASYNC|SND_FILENAME);

So now my little pong ball makes a nice DOINK! when it hits the paddles :) Next it's on to particle effects... hehehe.

Thanks everyone for your help. This is my learning project. It's hopefully the stick figure that will turn into the mona lisa type of thing in my game career. As I learn more I will continually updgrade this game into something more, and create new projects that better use the skills I learn, and I'm sure once I'm done with my degree I'll look back at this whole thing and go... "Wow... I had trouble with *THAT??!?!*"

Thanks again, and Cheers!

Az
I must have generated alot of errors when I was compiled... ~Azriel Cross

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement