[web] Internet Explorer 7 Released

Started by
7 comments, last by benryves 17 years, 6 months ago
Internet Explorer 7 for... Windows XP SP2 Windows 2003 32-bit Windows 2003/XP 64-bit Windows 2003 ia64
Advertisement
I installed it on my wife's PC (I dare not test it on my own... not yet). Crashed three times before I could get it to open and actually view a web page (had to close some dumpreps and such to get this far). Crashed more when a 2nd window was opened and was then closed or when I hit CTRL+W to close a tab. One of my sites that used margin: auto site was left aligned, though all of my other sites that have this aligned correct, so I'll have to figure out why, and various other small CSS issues with all of my sites.

Rating from 1 to 10 in the five minute period I could and could not use it: 2

I used it when it was RC1 and haven't touched it since. It seemed decent then, and worse now. It was more stable then for me, but then again, it was a different PC.

MS needs to start knockin skulls and get their act together. IE7 felt like it was thrown together. I won't be switching yet. I'm still debating on actually developing on it, though not doing so wouldn't be a wise move, so I'll likely install it and run IE6 as a stand-alone.
I don't plan on upgrading yet. For some reason, the University that I go to has said that there is a a problem with WebCT running on IE7. If it weren't for that, I would consider upgrading to it.
IMHO

Wooohooo... who cares.

Firefox/Opera/etc. are STILL better/faster/open so thanks, but no thanks.

(yes, I know, cooperates, admins for big companies and such care - I am not raging on you guys! Its Microsoft who should have learnt to pull their thumb out by now.)
I've found Firefox to be the best choice right now, and since it does not lack any features that IE would give which would actually be of some use, there is no need to change.

http://www.ie7.com/

'nuff said.

--------------------------------------Amaze your friends! Astound your family! Kennify your text!
I've been using it since the first public betas, and you can't deny that it's a massive improvement over 6 (at least as far as CSS support is concerned).

@Mathachew: I'm assuming you have a doctype set? IE operates in quirks modes without one, hence it'll use the IE5-style box model and won't let you use the automatic margin centre-alignment trick, for example. This was also the case with IE6.

Quote:Original post by Verminox

'nuff said.
Heh, that attitude is one of the many reasons I don't use Firefox.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by benryves

'nuff said.

You mean, you don't use FF because of a domain name that was bought in 1999 by someone who is not affilated with the Mozilla Foundation? [smile]
@Mathachew: I'm assuming you have a doctype set? IE operates in quirks modes without one, hence it'll use the IE5-style box model and won't let you use the automatic margin centre-alignment trick, for example. This was also the case with IE6.

Of course I do. Most of my sites are XHTML 1.0 Strict; IE7 is just being dumb with that site while IE6 played nice.

I know I'll find out why it's behaving that way, but the point is, all but one of my sites are centered in the same manner and that was isn't in IE7, but I'm sure IE7 just doesn't like something in my CSS so I have to bend the rules for that like I do for 6. joygasm.
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget

'nuff said.

You mean, you don't use FF because of a domain name that was bought in 1999 by someone who is not affilated with the Mozilla Foundation? [smile]
One of, and I was referring to the (visible) zealotry of the users in general. I am constantly being informed that I have to download Firefox, left, right and centre. It's more than a little tiring.

On that note, I'm off to set up spreadlynx.com.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement